Mila

Sometimes you suffer traumatic events and can really appreciate the life lessons they give you. Other times, you watch a Toyota Corolla go up in flames with the love of your life in the boot and the only thought that runs through your head is 'What the fuck was I thinking?'

"Mum, have you seen my running shoes?" I shouted, throwing clothes from my closet into my suitcase.

"At least they're half folded." I muttered as I rummaged through my underwear drawer. Grabbing as many pairs of socks as I could, I crammed them into the corner of the case. "Mum?!".

"They'll be where you left them!" Came her muted reply from downstairs.

I rolled my eyes with a laugh, my smile morphing into a frown without warning as I stared at the mess that surrounded me. Was I really ready for this?

My suitcases had been lying in my room, half empty and mocking for weeks. I'd begun packing almost as soon as I'd received my acceptance letter, but what had started out as an almost manic excitement to organise and prepare had quickly began to dwindle as the days approaching my departure grew closer.

I knew that I had stuffed everything essential into my suitcase days ago, but looking in my closet that day, each and every object seemed to hold a sudden sentimental value.

I felt myself wince as the lump in my throat grew but forced a smile as mum appeared in the doorway, successfully interrupting my thoughts.

"Here." She said, raising her eyebrow in an amused but unimpressed way, holding my trainers out to me. I couldn't help but look at her as if it was going to be the last time I saw her, for the first time truly appreciating how beautiful she was.

I grinned at her.

"Thanks, where did you find them?" I asked, taking them from her.

"Where you'd left them." She replied with a laugh. "Do you want a coffee?"

"Yes please." I turned back to my case and shoved aside a pile of old t-shirts to make room for my shoes. "Do you know what time it is?" I asked, looking over my shoulder.

"You have another hour until we have to leave. Are Kira and Jay coming to the airport?"

"I'm not too sure." I answered. "I don't think so, but Kira said she'd decide today. We already said our goodbyes last night, but Jay said they'd want to see me this morning so could we swing past theirs on the way, and see?"

"Course. I'll see you downstairs."

I'd known Kira and Jay almost as long as I'd lived. Their parents had been friends since they were 15 and had bought houses next-door to each other when they'd had kids. When mum had moved to the area, they'd all clicked instantly meaning that Kira, Jay and I had spent most of our childhoods joined at the hip. It was almost like having three homes and three families and I knew it wouldn't be the same without them, they were like my siblings.

Speaking of which...

"Léna!" I yelled, turning to face my doorway. "Léna!"

"What?!" She screamed back.

"Where's my green top?"

"What green top?"

"You know which green top! The one you always take!" I heard rustling followed by some cursing and then the sound of Léna's feet stomping across the hallway before she appeared in my doorway, scowling, and holding my top.

Léna was my older sister by 3 years but most people said we were more like twins, both in looks and attitude.

"You can't just move and take half my wardrobe with you." She snapped, throwing the top at me. I laughed, catching it before it hit my face.