Hourglass

TW - more talks of abuse and grooming.

There was a moment of silence as Ghost paused, considering my words.

"Meet me at ten tonight." He said. A wet sound echoed through the speaker, as though he was wetting his lips with his tongue. "You'll receive a text with the address. Come alone."

I nodded, slowing my steps in hopes that Ghost wouldn't hear the sound of Sami and I's shoes as they smacked against the concrete floor of the container store.

My eyes flicked over to Sami who raised an eyebrow in question.

"Okay." I answered, forcing my voice to be steady.

The line went dead.

"What did he say?" Sami asked, his gaze still glued to me.

"He wants me to meet him at 10 tonight."

"Alone I'm guessing." He answered, his tone flat.

I swallowed, trying to get rid of the lump in my throat.

"Yeah."

He rolled his eyes, shaking his head in exasperation.

"It'll be fine. I just-" I jumped as my phone buzzed, drawing my attention away from his concerned gaze.

Holding my breath, I pulled it from my pocket, my eyes raking over the screen as I took in the address, my heart sinking at its unfamiliarity.

"What does it say?" He asked, reaching out his hand.

I thrust the phone out for him to read.

"It's the abandoned factory just outside of town. I'll drive you."

"Sami you can't-"

"I'll stay out of sight. That way they can't say that you broke the terms but ill still be there to get you when its over. All you have to do is call."

I shook my head no, for the first time noticing that that was a light sheen of sweat coating his forehead.

"No."

"Stop being so goddamn stubborn." He snapped, stopping dead in the middle of the hallway, his hand moving out to grab my arm, spinning me around to face him. "How the hell do you expect to get back otherwise? Huh? I don't know the state he's in but judging by the state of you, he's in big trouble. He's not just going to walk out of this, Mila."

"They'll kill us all if they spot you."

"That's a risk we'll just have to take."

I stared at him for a moment. My eyes raking over his tanned features. Drinking in the intense heat of his gaze, the crease between his eyebrows, the angry flush that sat high on his cheeks.

"No. That's a risk I have to take."

"I don't want you to get hurt."

"As if I'd let them touch a hair on my pretty head." I answered, forcing a grin.

He scoffed, half amused, half terrified, before sobering up again. "Take my mom's car then."

"I can't just-"

"Yes you can."

I let my mouth fall closed, any argument I was about to make dying on my lips.

I knew that I should argue. Knew that I should point out the dangers of bringing a car that involved Sami, that involved his family. But the selfish part of my brain had taken over, the part that valued Iago over any form of risk.