Haven pt 2

Once again there are discussions of rape in this chapter - no rape takes place but please see the end for an explanation if you feel as though this could trigger you. Also, there is a point in which one character explicitly tells another that they do not want to be touched, and the character ignores this request. Once again, please check the notes at the end if you feel that this may trigger you.

Iago's silence was slowly killing me.

It was as though he'd just shut down. Given in to the pain and the stress and the anguish. Retreated in on himself with no intention of coming back out.

He didn't speak as I finished washing the blood from his back. Nor as I patted dry his skin.

He didn't speak when I gasped, taking in the welted mess of the brand that marred his stomach, red and inflamed. Nor when I pressed a soft kiss against his hipbone in apology.

He was quiet even as I helped him back into the joggers Niko had set outside the door. Even quieter as I helped him back onto the bench in the studio, resuming the same position as earlier, holding him against my side.

It felt wrong, as though I could feel his anger and heartbreak pulsing through my own veins, his confusion clouding my mind, his frustration gripping my stomach.

It was obvious that he didn't understand. That he thought I was punishing him for what had happened. Maybe part of me was. Maybe some deep, ugly, chunk of me wanted him to feel me pull away. Wanted him to feel unwanted and worthless, just like he'd made me feel. Wanted him to be confused and lost and lonely, even if he didn't deserve it.

But most of me just wanted him to be okay. I just needed for him to be okay. For Niko to patch him up so that we could talk. So that he could tell me he loved me again and I could tell him I loved him too. For him to tell me it was over.

"This is going to hurt."

Iago's hand tightened in mine and I squeezed back, glancing over to see Niko crouched behind us, a bottle of antiseptic gripped in his hand.

"Its not as bad as it looked, now that its clean." He continued, ignoring the way Iago's breath hitched as the liquid was doused over his skin. "Most of them seem pretty superficial. They'll sting like a bitch, but I doubt they'll scar. This bruising though..."

Niko wasn't wrong. The bruising was all encompassing, its dark hue swallowing up Iago's normally flawless skin.

"They use a belt?"

Iago nodded, the movement stiff and jerky and I cursed Niko internally, wishing he would stop with the questions.

"What else?"

I shot Niko a look, my eyebrows rising into my hairline in disbelief. It was obvious Iago didn't want to talk about it, shouldn't have to talk about it.

But then again, I'd want to know too. If I hadn't had to watch it play out.

"Kicks, mainly. I don't know. Its a bit of a blur."

Niko hummed an answer, reapplying the antiseptic onto the gauze before pressing it into a particularly nasty cut.

Iago let out a pained grunt, his knuckles turning white from where they gripped the edge of the bench.

"You need a break?" I asked gently, keeping my tone soft so that the question stayed between us.

He shook his head no but leaned into me further, finally seeming to accept my touch as I ran my hand through his short strands of hair, hoping the familiar gesture would soothe him.

"Almost done." I soothed, glancing over at the progress Niko was making. He'd covered a large portion of Iago's back with bandage and tape, leaving only the deepest wounds exposed.