chapter two

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things)"

[al-Noor 24:30] Qur'an.

***

"Awe poor baby, look at your dress. Is it smelling so bad?" A hysteric laughed echoed throughout the whole canteen as a girl openly bullied another one, who controlled her tears whilst clutching her dress, which was filled with stains of rotten tomatoes and smelled so bad.

No one said a word. For they knew she was the daughter of a board director and messing with her meant messing with their degrees.

"Please let me go." The girl who was getting bullied whispered with teary eyes. She felt utterly humiliated and embarrassed.

"Awe-" The bully's words died deep down as she felt something cold splashing on her face. And her nose scrunched in disgust as she smelt the expired milk on herself.

"How dare you?" She seethed at that person, but Daneen Ali gave her a challenging look. Asking her to continue with just those sharp eyes.

"You were saying something?" Daneen asked her with a smirk, as there was pin-drop silence in the canteen. Students gaped at the scenario. They were all surprised to learn that the supposedly cold-hearted Daneen had some heart after all.

The girl knew Daneen was trouble. Her father might be the board director but Daneen's father pretty much owned the whole damn college. Messing with Daneen Ali was an act of foolishness. And she was no fool.

"I'm sorry." She whispered in fear, "you should say that to someone else perhaps and stop picking on weaker people just because you can." Daneen cut her off rudely and walked out from there, very well aware of all the shocking gasps and reactions she is getting out of this. But seeing that bullying triggered memories that she didn't wish to recollect.

"That was awesome." Saba Afzal, Daneen's best friend nudged her playfully as they sat in their usual place to eat lunch, she just shrugged in return whilst settling down silently.

"Sometimes I can't believe you, Dani. You behave all cold and rude but deep inside you're such a softie." Saba smiled at her friend, who played with her food. Whilst fighting away the memories which began to haunt her.

"I'm not soft, Saba. I'm not. Soft people get crushed in this cruel world. I'm not soft." Before Saba could say something, the girl who Daneen saved turns up at their table with a grateful smile and eyes full of tears.

"Thank you so much for standing up for me, Daneen."

The little corner of Daneen's heartfelt bad for her. The world is an annoying place to live with. If they knew you are weak, they will crush you under their feet and walk upon you.

"Stop being so damn weak, will you. I won't be there every time. Fight your own battles. Don't let them rule you." The girl gaped at the little pep talk she just received from the oh so great Daneen Ali.

"Th-thanks though, you did what others couldn't do. I'm Rhea, by the way, I wish we could be friends." the girl named Rhea muttered with great courage and ran away from there before Daneen can even reply something.

Saba gave her best friend an understanding smile, knowing very well why Daneed saved her and what that pep talk meant deep down.

"You're the strongest person I've ever met, Dani. Just a bit rude that's all. Maybe not a bit, but still. You're the strongest person." Saba poked her cheeks, making Daneen's eyes tear up unknowingly and she didn't wish to stay there any longer.

"Stop saying those words, Saba." Snapping at her, she left from there as her food remained untouched.

"What happened to her?" Came a hoarse voice and Saba's cheeks turned red as the intruder took a seat beside her, "why aren't you eating something?" he asked whilst taking few fries from her plate and munched on it.