chapter eleven

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said;

"Do not speak with a statement for which you may have to apologise tomorrow."

***

Daneen knew that she has messed it up. Pretty badly she might add. Asfandyar refused to meet her eyes as he walked downstairs where his Phopho was already throwing a fit. She followed him behind worriedly.

"How dare she? This is house is built with my brother's hard-earned money. Who the hell is she to tell where should my daughter be sleeping." Farida seethed in anger, with her eyes so red. Fathima looked at her son helplessly.

Alishiba was crying at the insult that happened to her and Kinza seem to be enjoying the drama so much, as it was defaming Daneen. Her enemy.

"How dare you?" Farida raised her hands to slap Daneen in rage but a hand caught her on time. She gave her nephew a look of disbelief.

"Don't forget Phopho her husband is still here." Asfandyar's tone was firm yet polite as he left her hands and glanced at his wife. Daneen's mind triggered memories that she never wished to recollect. Unshed tears welled up in her eyes as she held her husband's hands, seeking his support. He intertwined their fingers, despite being angry with her.

"Farida, for goodness sake calm down. You can't expect everyone to be following your orders. Accept it or not, but this house is now rightfully Asfandyar's and his wife has all rights to decide whether or not someone should be sleeping in her room. It'd be better if we end this discussion here. Alishiba can sleep in my room." Fathima stepped into her intimidating Bhabhi role and tried solving the problem calmly yet sternly.

"Look at this. Of course, you'd support your daughter in law." Farida scoffed, "if my Bhai was alive today, I wouldn't have to see this day. He promised to marry my daughter to his son, but you ruined everything. And I will never forgive you all."

Daneen's eyes widened at the new piece of information she just received as she gave a sideways glance to her husband. That explained the rudeness which she was unnecessarily receiving since evening.

"My son was never interested in your daughter. He has always considered her as a sister and your daughter too feels the same way. I don't know why are we bringing this up now. At this hour." Fathima looked at the wall clock and frowned at the time. They all should have finished praying Isha by now.

Daneen looked relieved with that answer. She can't picture her husband with any other woman, the very thought left her fuming in frustration.

"I'll never step into this house again, Bhabhi. Mark my words. I've tolerated enough." Farida dragged her daughter along with her and tried creating a scene.

Asfandyar wanted to interfere but his mother signalled him not to. He paused helplessly and watched his Phopho fume in anger before actually leaving the house. He was glad that they had a driver to drive them back home. Still, he wasn't very happy with any of the happenings.

The Qur'an taught them to honour guests. Remembering which he was more disappointed.

Farida expected them to stop her for formality sake at least. But no one even opened their mouth in protest. She left from there angrily swearing to never set her foot back on that house.

Good riddance... Daneen rolled her eyes at the dramatic duo and turned to face her husband, who looked away immediately and removed his hands from her hold. Making her more tensed. Was he really that angry? She wondered worriedly.

"Go to your rooms, you two." Fathima ordered her children and they all walked to their respective rooms, but she stopped Daneen, "you wait here."

Daneen hated being ordered. No one else did that apart from her father, which brings back some bitter memories. Closing her eyes for a second, she composed herself, "I'm sorry for behaving that way, aunty. I've had an awful day and I didn't like the idea of sharing mine and Asfandyar's bed with some other girl."