chapter seven

The Prophet Muhammad ( peace be upon him) said;

"Charity does not decrease wealth."

***

Fathima Malik has always loved her firstborn a little extra than her daughter. Firstborns are always special for a mother and so was Asfandyar to her, he was the first one to give her the title of a mother, the first one to call her as 'ma', she has had so many emotional attachments with him. This is why it made her so worried when he announced his wish of marrying Daneen.

She wanted someone who'd love her son unconditionally, someone who'd respect him and get along with his family. Someone who'd be there for him in his every up and down. Someone who'd guide him throughout the journey of this life.

And she wasn't sure if Daneen was that someone. Coming from a super-rich family, that girl would take half her life just to adjust to their middle-class lifestyle and it wasn't something which she was fond of.

"Is everything okay?" She asked whilst entering the kitchen, hoping for it to be a mess and whatnot. But what she didn't expect was Daneen to actually cook the breakfast perfectly, not any breakfast but her son's favourite breakfast.

"It's almost done, aunty. Can you taste this?" Daneen passed her mother in law a plate of aloo paratha, with a wide smile on her face. She could tell Fathima was impressed and that made her oddly satisfied. It was fun to prove people wrong.

"It's good, how did you learn this?" Fathima didn't hide the fact that she expected it to be worse and that made Daneen smile. She likes honest people more than double-faced ones.

"This is how I survived my boredom, I mean... I cook for passing my time. It's something I love to do and Mami has taught a lot of special dishes to me, I can cook them one day."

"That's nice." Fathima smiled at her as she took the hot box in her hands and walked towards the dining table where the Malik siblings were present.

Kinza made a face at Daneen, who royally ignored her and placed two parathas on Asfandyar's plate. His face lit up in excitement, "wow. You remembered?"

"Yes, you told me just yesterday and aloo paratha is also my signature breakfast. My mami says my hands have some magic in it, do taste and tell me." Daneen grinned at her husband while referring to their random talks of the day before, as she took a seat beside him and served herself one paratha.

"This is so good, Daneen. Masha Allah."

Fathima smiled at her son and then at his wife. It seriously took her by the shock that Daneen cooked Asfandyar's favourite dish and even more shocking when she realized it was for his sake that she had made them. Daneen Ali wasn't so bad after all. Maybe she can be that someone for her son.

"Your mami is right, there is definitely magic in your hands." Fathima joined the table and for the first time passed her daughter in law a genuine smile, who beamed at those words, "thank you so much, aunty." She replied and passed a subtle glance at Kinza who was fuming in frustration. Ignoring which she continued eating her food.

"Kinza start eating, what are you looking at?" Asfandyar added whilst munching on the delicious breakfast, "and why are you eating only one paratha? Eat more." He placed another one on his wife's plate, who made a face at him, "no. I can eat only one." She placed it on his plate instead, who passed her an amused glance.