chapter fifteen

"Do people think that they will be left to say, 'we believe' and they will not be tested?"

- Qur'an [29:2]

***

"Daneen... Are you okay?"

"Hmm." Came her monotonous reply.

Saba stared at her best friend worriedly, who sat on the guest room's bed, with a sullen face. Lost deep in her thoughts since yesterday.

"Your phone is ringing, Daneen." Saba tried talking with her, but Daneen shot her an annoyed glance, "I forgave you for being a stupid friend, but please leave me alone like you were doing the last week, I know it's ringing. I am not deaf."

"Yeah, you should attend it. He must be worried. It's been twenty-four hours since you left the hospital." Saba pointed out with a shake of her head and walked out of there, not wanting to annoy her any further. If Daneen asked for space, she might as well give her that.

Daneen sighed as she watched the retreating image of her stupid best friend and huffed as she got up from the bed and closed the door shut, lest she'd come back again and then turned around to frown at her phone, which was ringing continuously for the past fifteen minutes ever since she switched it on.

She was so tempted to answer it and listen to his voice. Gosh, she missed him. His voice, his touch, his warmth, his smile, his teasing...

Most of all missed praying together with him. She had to pray fajr alone for the first time since their marriage and it felt so weird. She missed him so much that it was pathetic. But her ego became a little bigger today and she decided to not attend the call at all.

Daneen!

Answer the calls.

Why are you doing this?

I'm so worried here.

Wajiha aunty says you're not in her home.

This is not funny, Daneen.

I'm worried sick.

Pick up the damn call, Daneen.

Her phone buzzed continuously with his worried messages and she huffed at that, "I'm supposed to be angry, stop being so caring and melting me without even trying." She glared at the phone and jumped as the ringtone played loudly, startling her a bit. She ignored it again, despite wanting to do the opposite.

Don't be an immature brat. Her heart scolded her.

He deserved it though. Her mind argued.

"Ugh, Asfandyar. What are you doing to me?" She yelled into the pillow and cried silently. It still hurt her so badly to think that he has asked her to leave him alone. She knew that she was wrong. But how can he just ask her to go away?

"I'm not even able to be mad at you." She furiously wiped away her tears and walked into the bathroom to take a shower. Maybe that'd calm her down. Help her forget the world for a while? She needed something to distract herself. The thoughts of Asfandyar has consumed her whole being and she couldn't sleep a wink the last night. She missed his cuddles a lot yesterday.

When did he become such an important part of her life, she had no idea. But Daneen couldn't survive a day without thinking about her husband.

Stop thinking about him!