chapter eight

"Do not go near adultery. It is truly a shameful deed and an evil way."

Qur'an (17:32)

***

The laughter and chattering stopped as soon the warning bell rang and everyone rushed to get into their respective classrooms, Daneen was one among them. She hated being late but these days it was difficult for her to reach the college on time.

Everyone's eyes were upon her as she got into the class hurriedly and walked towards her bench. These days she was grabbing more attention than usual and she was not even wearing anything that revealing.

Old Daneen loved the attention she received but this one was starting to dislike it slowly. It made her feel good when they all would gawk at her like she was some princess every single day and talk among themselves as she passes them. Right now, it was very annoying, for it increased more.

She changed her dressing style completely out of respect for her husband, who never said a word about her dressing but she knew deep down that he'd prefer his wife covered properly. As she was reading the translation of the Qur'an daily, Daneen understood why he feels that way and it was the least she could do for him, for he was so kind and understanding, unlike the usual husbands. Unlike her father.

"I thought you were not going to come," Saba whispered to her friend as she took a seat beside her on the third bench. It was their fixed place and no one else sat with them, if there weren't any seats left they would. But it was a rare case.

"Asfandyar had to run some errands for his mother, so it got late. I miss my car." Daneen muttered with annoyance as she took out the notes from her bag and skimmed the important points for the test which will happen in five minutes.

"I can't believe you are actually married and that too with that hot professor." Saba added dreamily but coughed as her friend glared at her, "you gotta admit though, he's hot. Remember how many girls were heartbroken with your marriage news?"

"I don't care about them neither does he. He's my husband. Stop saying hot." Daneen slapped her shoulders and went back to studying. Saba giggled at her and continued teasing her about being possessive and how it's only been two weeks of her marriage.

"Good morning class." Her eyes perked up hearing that familiar voice. What was he doing in her class? She wondered whilst trying to fight away that smile. Saba passed another teasing smile her way, in return got pinched by her.

"Your history sir has some work, so he requested me to take the test on his behalf. I want everyone to be seated according to the roll number wise." Asfandyar had a no-nonsense look as he gave the instructions and kept a stern face as they all hurried to sit accordingly.

Daneen could feel a lot of girls eyeing him with that dreamy look and she felt like stabbing all of them. Once again she was glad that Asfandyar doesn't teach her or she'd be witnessing this annoying scene every single day. Why was it bothering her so much? She wondered. He is your husband, her heart replied.

And then her heart fluttered realising the fact that Asfandyar has his eyes only for her. His wife. She ducked her head below as a shy smile appeared on her lips at that thought.

"Pass this." Someone passed her the question papers, after taking one, she passed the rest to the backside and the process continued until they all had the papers.

"Start your test now. I won't allow anyone to write it beyond the given time, so hurry up." Daneen lifted her head up and thought to have a small glimpse of his face before writing the test, but gulped as he was already staring at her. His eyes looked extra cool with that glasses though.