14

"So what's going on with you and Carter?" Olivia whispered to me. We were sitting around our normal table. I had made sure to sit between Olivia and Trinity, which normally I would never consider doing. Their mindless and nonstop gossip was almost comforting today, like a white noise machine. I only had to nod my head and act shocked every couple of minutes. Easy.

I glanced around the table, trying to decipher if anyone was listening. The boys seemed occupied with their conversation.

"Nothing." I said quickly, keeping my voice low. I busied myself by pushing the salad I had purchased around the plastic container it came in.

"Really?" Olivia raised her perfectly manicured eyebrow.

"That's not what I heard." Trinity added, shrugging her shoulders and giving Olivia a you know what I'm talking about look.

"He told everyone you guys were hanging out." She said the last part in air quotes. "AKA hooking up." She giggled, daintily covering her mouth.

"I told him no way he was the one to take Seren off the market." Benji's voice interrupted us. I looked up from my uneaten salad to find everyone's eyes on me. "Don't worry babe, I got your back." Benji finished with a wink.

"So is it true or not?" Olivia casually urged me on, like I would normally tell her my secrets.

"Not true." I sat back in my chair nonchalantly.

"Knew it bro." Tyler fist bumped Benji. They were like five year olds.

"I don't know." Trinity mused. "You two seemed pretty cozy at the lake house."

"It'd be a shame if you were lying." Jax's voice rang out. To anyone else, he sounded like he was joking. To me, it was a direct threat. He had a shit eating smirk plastered on his face, staring directly at me.

I willed my eyes not to leave his. "There's nothing going on between me and Carter." I gritted out. I grabbed my bag from the floor and rose to my feet. I knew coming to school today was a fucking mistake.

My feet knew where to go as they carried me to my smoking spot. As I crouched down the wall I buried my head in my arms as they rested on my knees. How can no one else see what he's doing to me? It's like he's torturing me in public, and no one cares enough to lift a finger.

Maybe they do see it. Maybe they all know. Zane said it himself, they all see the way he looks at me. Maybe I was blind to it before, but I saw it now. He looked at me like I belong to him. He said it himself.

You belong to me.

I fucking love you.

You made a mistake.

I clenched my eyes shut, trying to get his voice out of my head.

"You good down there?" A voice startled me. I looked up to see a tall guy standing in front of me, looking down at me with a half smirk on his face. I recognized him from parties, but I didn't know his name. I think Cain bought weed off him.

"I'm fine." I said before putting my head back down in my arms. Can't people take the fucking hint and leave me alone?

He didn't answer, but a couple of seconds later I heard him slide down the wall next to me. Involuntarily, I flinched. He was too close to me. I scooted away from him as quick as I could.

He chuckled. "Don't worry. You're not my type."

That made me raise his head. I turned to look at him, he was still smirking, but he looked a little concerned now, too. "Really?"