15

I was sitting on a bench at the front of the school, my legs crossed and tucked underneath me. I was wishing I had brought a sweater to school by now, as the tiny crop top I was wearing was doing nothing to protect me from the cool breeze gusting through the air.

My dad couldn't pick me up for another two hours, at least, and then he would have to go right back to his office. I could walk, but my house was across town, and it would take me just as long. I was wishing I had cash on me, so I could call and ask Austin to meet me. I already wanted to be high again. I wondered if that was concerning, but deep down I already knew it was. Who cares though? Lots of things were concerning as of late.

I was trying not to remember Carter's words to me. I think they bothered me so badly because I knew they were true. I had done exactly what he said. I was a tease.

And that makes two guys to tell me that I was such. Well, Carter said it. Jax just implied it. Strongly.

Maybe I was the problem after all.

"What are you doing here?" I looked up to see Zane standing there, his keys in his hand, his body was pointing towards the parking lot.

"My ride bailed." I told him.

Zane looked at me, he seemed torn, probably wondering how he could leave me here without seeming like an asshole.

"Come on, I'll take you." He waved at me with his hand and starting walking towards his car. When he didn't hear me follow, he turned back towards me.

"Would you really rather sit here in the cold than let me drive you home?" His eyes looked hurt again, like I had offended him. I don't know why he cared so much.

I weighed the options before rising to my feet. Hopefully he would keep the probing questions to a minimum this time, at least. My experiences with Zane in the last couple of days told me the opposite.

I looked for the SUV he had driven to the lake house this weekend but I couldn't spot it. I watched as Zane approached a black Mercedes before remembering the SUV was his dads. I climbed into the car, noticing the posh interior, the car even had a faint new car smell. Looks like Zane was a spoiled rich kid like everyone else at this school.

"What kind of music do you like?" Zane asked me as he got into the drivers seat.

"Whatever is fine."

He nodded before selecting a song on his phone, and a mellow pop punk song filled the car. I was pleasantly surprised by his music choice, I had figured him to be into the same mumble rap as the other guys. He was quiet as he pulled out of the parking lot and starting driving on the road to get to my house.

"So who was supposed to drive you home?" Zane asked me, because apparently his new favourite thing to do was ask me things.

"Carter." I mumbled, watching the world outside the window start to blur as the car accelerated onto the highway.

"Why did he bail?"

I sighed. "I don't know."

"Yes you do." Zane challenged back without a beat.

Of course, Zane the human lie detector.

"I didn't want to watch a movie with him." That was the short version, anyways.

"So he just left you at the school?" Zane's voice was tensed, like he was angry.

"I guess." I muttered.

Zane muttered something under his breath that I couldn't catch.

"Why don't you have a car?" He asked me.