18

I was walking through a field of purple wildflowers, feeling the warm breeze kiss my skin and watching the rays of sun turn the air golden. I could smell the fragrance of spring in the air, damp and wet. I walked up to a large tree, holding my fingers up against the moss covered bark. I wasn't searching for anything in particular, it felt more like I was exploring. I heard a faint thumping, it was rhythmic and quick. It seemed to becoming from inside the tree, so I gently pressed my ear against the wide trunk.

The thumping was growing louder now, too loud. It annoyed me. I wanted the silence to be back, the peace and quiet the rest of the meadow held. I decided to ignore it, and walk away.

Thump, thump, thump.

Even though I was moving in the opposite direction of the tree, the noise was still piercing my ears.

"Seren? Don't make me kick down the door, because I will." Zane's voice finally brought me back to reality, leaving my feelings of peace and happiness in the meadow. I groaned as my eyes opened, taking in the unfamiliar surroundings. The walls were a dark grey, trophies and posters decorated them. The bedding I was bundled up in smell like guy, somewhere between Axe body spray and expensive cologne. It smelt good. Was this how Zane smelled? I'd never been close enough to notice.

"Seren!" Zane's voice called again. I rolled my eyes as I unwound myself from the blanket and walked over to the door. I tried to turn the doorknob, but it didn't budge. It was then I remembered that I had asked Zane to lock the door. I mentally facepalmed as I remembered everything I said to him, so much for keeping a low profile.

After unlocking the door, I swung it open to find Zane with his fisted hand in the air like he was mid knock. He dropped it quickly, watching me like he wasn't sure of my next move.

"Hey."

"Hi." I responded, turning back to the bed quickly enough that my hair fanned out around me. I searched for my clothes, noticing that I was in Zane's. They were extremely comfortable and I didn't want to take them off, but now that the Ativan had left my body, I wanted to get out of this house as quickly as possible.

"It's almost 10. I'll give you a ride home." Zane said awkwardly, it was clear he didn't know what to say now either. I nodded as I laid eyes on my clothes, laying on the end of the bed. Zane understood what I was doing as I grabbed them, and left the room, closing the door behind him.

"You feeling better?" He asked as I exited his room, feeling exposed in my own clothes. That didn't make sense, did it? I wore this all day with no issues, but now that I was alone with Zane in his house, and sober, I felt self conscious.

"Yes." I didn't. I felt worse.

"Good." He smiled at me as he led me up the stairs into the main level of his house. I wasn't curious this time as he led me through the hallways, I kept my eyes pointed towards the ground.

"Oh Zane, there you are." I heard a woman's voice ring out as we made our way past the kitchen. "And you must be Seren."

Zane's mom was beautiful. She seemed to be in her mid forties, with long brown hair the same shade as Zane's. She wore high end business clothes, designer I'm sure. She was smiling down at me, and I could almost feel the motherly energy radiating off of her. She strode over to me, placing her hands on my shoulders. She looked my face over, her lips never budging from the same smile she had when she first saw me.

"Zane told us you have some relatives staying at your house with a baby, and you haven't been able to sleep because of it. Did you get some rest darling?" I nodded, trying my hardest to smile back at her. She stared at my face once more, seemingly searching for something. I guess that's where Zane gets it from.