―xi. a final family reunion

THEY DID THEIR SUMMONS AFTER DARK, at a twenty-foot-long pit in front of the bright-yellow septic tank. Not exactly the best décor for summoning the dead, but Naomi hoped ghosts still kept their senses of humor after death.

The moon was full. Silver clouds drifted across the sky.

"Minos should be here by now," Nico said, frowning. "It's full dark."

"Maybe he got lost," Percy said, sounding hopeful.

Nico poured root beer and tossed barbeque into the pit, then began chanting in Ancient Greek. Immediately the bugs in the woods stopped chirping. Naomi's Stygian iron ring (which Eurytion had so graciously returned) grew colder against her finger.

"Make him stop," Naomi heard Tyson whisper to Percy.

The first spirits appeared. Sulfurous mist seeped out of the ground. Shadows thickened into human forms. One blue shade drifted to the edge of the pit and knelt to drink.

"Stop him!" Nico said, momentarily breaking his chant. "Only Bianca may drink!"

Naomi summoned Asphodel. The ghosts retreated with a collective hiss at the sight of the dark blade, but it was too late to stop the first spirit. He had already solidified into the shape of a bearded man in white robes. A circlet of gold wreathed his head, and even in death his eyes were alive with malice.

"Minos!" Nico said. "What are you doing?"

"My apologies, master," the ghost said, though he didn't sound very sorry. "The sacrifice smelled so good, I couldn't resist." He examined his own hands and smiled. "It is good to see myself again. Almost in solid form—"

"You are disrupting the ritual!" Nico protested. "Get—"

The spirits of the dead began to shimmer dangerously bright, and Nico had to take up the chant again to keep them at bay.

"Yes, quite right, master," Minos said with amusement. "You keep chanting. I've only come to protect you from these liars who would deceive you."

He looked at Percy like he was some kind of rodent (something he'd only been one time, mind you). "Percy Jackson... my, my. The sons of Poseidon haven't improved much over the centuries, have they?"

Naomi scowled at the ghost. "We're looking for Bianca di Angelo," she said. "Get out of here."

Minos ignored her, still focused on Percy. "I understand you once killed my Minotaur with your bare hands. But worse things await you in the maze. Do you really believe Daedalus will help you?"

The other spirits stirred in agitation. Naomi summoned Hemlock as well, holding both swords out and pointed at the spirits, keeping them at bay.

"Daedalus cares nothing for you, half-bloods," Minos warned. "You can't trust him. He is old beyond counting, and crafty. He is bitter from the guilt of murder and is cursed by the gods."

"The guilt of murder?" Percy asked. "Who did he kill?"

"Do not change the subject!" the ghost growled. "You are hindering Nico. You try to persuade him to give up on his goal. I would make him alord!"

"Enough, Minos," Nico commanded.

The ghost sneered. "Master, these are your enemies. You must not listen to them! Let me protect you. I will turn their minds to madness, as I did the others."

"The others?" Annabeth gasped. "You mean Chris Rodriguez? That was you?"

"The maze is my property," the ghost said, "not Daedalus's! Those who intrude deserve madness."