―iv. naomi and friends visit a crazy lady

NICO TAPPED HIS SWORD on the ground. A tiny mound of animal bones erupted from the dirt. They knitted themselves together into a skeletal field mouse and scampered off. "I was sorry to hear about Beckendorf."

Percy's voice was tight as he asked, "How did you—"

"I talked to his ghost."

"Oh... right," Percy said. "Did he say anything?"

"He doesn't blame you. He figured you'd be beating yourself up, and he said you shouldn't."

"Is he going to try for rebirth?" Naomi asked softly.

Nico shook his head. "He's staying in Elysium. Said he's waiting for someone. Not sure what he meant, but he seems okay with death."

It wasn't much comfort, but it was better than nothing.

"I had a vision you were on Mount Tam," Percy told Nico. "Was that—"

"Real," he said. "I didn't mean to be spying on the Titans, but I was in the neighborhood."

"Doing what?"

Nico tugged at his sword belt. "Following a lead on... you know, my family."

"How'd it go?" Naomi asked. "Any luck?"

"No," he murmured. "But I may have a new lead soon."

"What's the lead?"

Nico chewed on his lip. "That's not important," he said. He looked at Percy. "You know why I'm here."

Percy looked from Nico to Naomi, his expression hesitant. "Nico, I don't know," he said. "It seems pretty extreme."

"Try incredibly extreme," Naomi muttered. "And more than a little stupid."

Nico glared at her, then looked back at Percy. "You've got Typhon coming in what... a week? Most of the other Titans are unleashed now and on Kronos's side. Maybe it's time to think extreme."

Percy looked back toward the camp.

"They're no match for the Titan army," Nico said. "You know that. This comes down to you and Luke. And there's only one way you can beat Luke."

Percy still looked unsure.

"We can give you the same power," Nico urged. "You heard the Great Prophecy. Unless you want to have your soul reaped by a cursed blade..."

Naomi wondered how Nico had heard the prophecy—maybe from a ghost, or maybe even from Hades.

"You can't prevent a prophecy," Percy said.

Perseus and Annabeth will live.

Naomi's throat felt tight.

"But you can fight it." Nico had a strange, hungry light in his eyes. "You can become invincible."

"Maybe we should wait," Naomi suggested nervously. "Try to—"

"No!" Nico snarled. "It has to be now!"

Naomi stared at him. She hadn't seen his temper flare like that in a long time. "Nico, are you sure you're okay?"

He took a deep breath. "Look, all I mean... when the fighting starts, we won't be able to make the journey. This is our last chance. I'm sorry if I'm being too pushy, Percy, but two years ago my sister gave her life to protect you. I want you to honor that. Do whatever it takes to stay alive and defeat Kronos."

Percy's expression was conflicted, but finally, he said, "All right. What do we do first?"

Nico's cold, creepy smile made Naomi nervous. "First, we'll need to retrace Luke's steps. We need to know more about his past, his childhood."