Chapter 14

Walking back to my room felt like an eternity. I looked up at the stairs and saw a tall dark silhouette and all my instincts turned into high alert mode. I repelled the flying to me spell before I could realize what was happening. Another spell. Near miss. I took a step back, hoping I could run back to the kitchen to Bill, but if I stop watching the man's move I'll lose. Another spell. Another step back. Maybe I could just reach for a door and just run for it?

The attacker felt me slipping away from his clutches. I bet he thought everything would work as smoothly as last time. He began running downstairs, and that was his mistake. He had to watch the steps at the same time, which gave me a chance to run for it.

Only some moonlight through the kitchen windows lit up my way down the corridor. I bumped into something just a few steps from the kitchen.

"Bill, he is here," I whispered into his chest.

I felt the arms wrap around me, but it wasn't a gentle protective hug. It was a grip.

I began to try and break free. There was someone else helping my attacker, but I wasn't going to get up that easily. The adrenaline of bigger danger pumped into my brain. I stepped on the man's foot as hard as I could, and he let out a gasp and loosened his grip. I jerked my head forward and kicked his neck with my forehead. His grip loosened even more and that was enough for me to run for it.

I finally reached the kitchen where Bill stood just where he left. Didn't he hear the sound of fight and footsteps? Or did he think that was my usual noises?

"What- What's wrong?" he asked, automatically catching me in his embrace.

He didn't really need my answer, and not because the attacker was catching up, but because he was ready to protect me from anything without further explanation.

However, the attackers did in fact caught up, and we began to duel. Two against two. They didn't expect to meet any resistance this time, and the proof of it was that I was still free and alive.

I realized that as long as I use verbal spells me opponent will be able to repel it. So I gathered all my focus to perform non-verbal Stunning spell. Bill notices that I stopped shouting spells and was just repelling them, which made me look like I was preparing for the attack. As if he read my mind or had the same idea, we shot the spell in unison and it threw the men a few feet away, to the end of the corridor near the house entrance.

Bill and I exhaled.