👑8

. . . .

~
___________
***

Living in constant pain is something I'll never wish on anyone. Not even my enemies. Which brings me to the question, do I have enemies?

"Maybe the one who cursed you?" My subconscious reminds me.

But this line of thought is not important. What is important is that, for once in my broken life, the pain seem to reduce. Somehow.

Is it because I've found a way to live with my old friends?

Yes, they don't remember me for who I was, but they do know me now, as a person.

I can live with that.

Knowing that I didn't have to start all over again with strangers brings a very bright smile to my face.

Why haven't I tried this before?

Before, I feared rejection. I was scared to approach those who once knew me because they would have called me a mad woman.

Who wouldn't?

How could I have claimed to know everything about them when I couldn't even remember my own name? Or where I came from? Who my parents were? Who I was?

I would have been tagged mad for sure.

"Hey, Shaftey!" Uche chirps happily, bringing me out of my thoughts.

"Hey," I greet back, smiling at him.

"Dey try calm down with that smile of yours! Abi, are you trying to seduce me?" He says, playfully covering his face causing me to release a happy chuckle almost dropping the folded towel in my hands.

Uche is good looking, and he never fails to point it out.

He has a lean structure with a round face. His straight nose, full lips and smooth light brown skin, add extra points to his handsomeness.

"You never finish?" He says, his eyes roaming between my hands and the stack of towels I am now fixing.

"I am done with it. I'm just making sure everything is in place," I reply with a small smile.

"Oya follow me, let's go meet Sandra. She'll be so excited to see you." Again, he doesn't wait for my response before he begins walking out of the room. I give a final inspection of my work and follow him out, a satisfied smile laying on my lips.

I have a job.

I have my friends, who don't assume I am mad.

"Quit smiling like that, people will think you stole something," Uche warns with a stern voice.

I straighten my face quickly, not wanting to draw any negative attention to myself. Now that everything seem perfect, I do not want it to change. I need it to remain this way.

"See as your mouth close, sharp sharp! I dey play oh!" Uche blurts, bursting into a low laugh, that eases the eternal pain in my heart.

Relishing the peaceful feeling of his presence, I follow him to the elevator. Soon enough, the elevator opens, revealing a very large room, different from the one I came in through this morning.

The brown carpet here has patches of faded green flowers that add to the ensemble of the place. If I were the decorator, I would have chosen a different color for the carpets though.