Chapter Five- Why Is Everyone Such A Buzz Kill!

Becky

I just couldn't understand him. He acts all so high and mighty that he doesn't even see the errors of his own actions. Like he's so flawless and his decisions don't affect the rest of us as a coven. I'm so sick of it and it was all that stupid Emma's fault for inkling him on.
What irked me more was the fact he lost his cool back there with me, which had never happened before. Not ever.
I stood at my locker with Jasmine, keeping my books in and taking out my phone. I couldn't believe how quickly the coven had accepted Avery so easily, so now we were preparing to do an initiation ceremony for the bitch. I shut my locker.
"Why do you hate Avery?" Jasmine retorts, gawking at me with unfathomable Flummoxness. I fumed, asking myself that question too. Why do I hate her. The truth was because of the dreams I had about her, I wasn't even sure our professors knew about her. A Magizen no one knows her abilities, she was like a walking time bomb.
"Nothing Jaz, are you gonna go check out the library later, there's an item I'm researching..." I was saying, Jaz just stood there wrly, giving me invalid looks. "What is it Jaz?" I ask tiredly, putting the strap of my bag over my shoulder properly.
"I hope you aren't researching dark stuff again Beks?" She says sternly. I sighed. Why was everyone worried about me researching dark magic. I mean if it gave us more power what is the harm in there?
"That Hat coven uses dark magic, and they don't answer to no one." I said in my defense and at once regretted my statement, because Jaz gave me a stunned look of disbelief.
"They are a dark coven. You know this too". Jaz Points a finger at me her fuzzy brown and yellow hair standing up at ends; her hair puffs up whenever she gets nervous or mad, and believe me you don't wanna see Jaz mad.
"Alright Jaz, I was just saying." I retort. Raising my hands in surrender. "Hypothetically speaking."
"Whatever, just be careful, I don't wanna loose any other member of our coven." She said, and I instantly remembered Judith, what had happened to her was entirely our fault. Even though she had indulged in our idea to mingle with darkness, she had paid the ultimate prize, and we had done nothing, could do nothing but watch it happen. We gave her a minute silence.
"She was the best of us." She says.
"The strongest." I seconded. "Stronger than Thayer." Jaz nods. "Don't tell him I said that." I said reflexively. Jaz chuckles lightly shaking her head, dimples appears on her dark left cheeks, and her eyes cringe making her look younger than normal.
"I won't."she laughs. Her phone rings and she takes it out.
"Hey Miles." She starts, walking off, as usual. Jaz gets preoccupied when talking to him, and her voice modulates to a high pitch. She seriously liked him though I wasn't certain Miles felt the same way.
I saw our substitute History teacher saunter down the halls, he looked very young, maybe 20 or so. Having red glistening hair, that fell over one eye, stormy grey eyes, pale skin, like he was sick or something with perfect chiseled features. Girls cooed and looked dreamingly when he strolled down the hall, eyes focused on one thing it would seem. Jaz finished her call with a sharp high pitch 'see you then. Bye' before returning to me.
"Look at that." I say, jerking my head towards the teacher in a conversation with Avery at her locker, she was laughing together with him.
"What? Terrence is actually a really nice sub." She says in his defense. "Miles told me he helped a kid in his chemistry class get over his fear of blood instantly just by telling him not to." Jaz blurts out.
"Is he a-"
"Nope...I don't know, we're not sure." Jaz replies. "Either he's hidding his aura from us not to get detected, or he's really powerful..." Jaz continues to guess. I bite my lips, suddenly picturing myself resting on the locker with him over me instead of Avery. Immediately I chided myself. What the hell was coming over me? He wasn't even that hot, but I still felt drawn towards him.
"He's kind of attractive, I feel a bit drawn to him." Jaz replied as if reading my thoughts. Exactly! I thought.
"I know right?" I seconded. "She's probably sleeping with him, that slut!" I spat, Jaz swerved at me. "See who's talking."
"What is that supposed to mean?" I retort feigning a bewilderd glare.
"You and Thayer are still having sex with each other behind-"
"Shh!" I hushed her with my palm to her mouth, she muffled under my hand.
"Shut up okay." I chided, taking off my hand. "We ended our relationship remember?" I assured her. She looks sardonically at me.
"Mm hmm." Enthuses Jaz.
"We're just friends now." I say. She nods knowingly at me. "...yeah with benefits!" And I hit her playfully.
I dart my eyes all around the school hall as we began our decent out the large double pull and push glass doors, which were already cracked.
"How did you know?" I ask, my own curiosity getting the best of me. Jaz only hummed a track of Halsey and pretend to not have heard me.
"Jaz?" I retort, with a more pleading edge to my voice.
"Penelope told me." She blurts. That bitch!
"Of course. She's a Looker after all." I say, lookers were Magizens with the gift of foresight, they could see things in the future just moments before they happened, and could also sight things yards away from them too. I hated magizens like them most, my first most hated Magizens were listeners, people like Andy who were professional, magical eavesdroppers.
"Isn't that Thayer's ex girlfriend?" I retort, now turning savage. She nods.
I smirked. "Guess she didn't see their breakup coming huh?" Jaz nudges me, and I smirk the more.
*****

I make my way, after my Ethics class to the citadel. Our magic library which layed behind a cabinet at the schools main library, I pulled the right cabinet, the signet of the magizens appeared over the light wood, which was s cross inside a circle, then the walls gave way to a set of stone steps, leading downwards to darkness. I looked around to see if anyone was watching me before clambering down on the steps. The walls closed after me when I clambered down. Beside me on either side of the walls torches upon iron sconces lit up as if sensing my presence, which they probably did, the inner chambers are wide infinitely, filled with huge tall shelves of books and text, towering over each other. Containing information all about our world, and magical trinkets littered the place, stacked upon each other.
At one side I see a teacher make a fish bowl float separately, with the fish in water floating one side outside the bowl, the test of a telekine. The boy's eyes lit up in awe, the sight was kind of nostalgic, remembering my first time i had been told about our world and shown magic, that was by Thayer, but it seemed to be a long time ago now.

I was at the isle that held books on forbidden magic. The restricted section. Irrespective of Jaz's warnings and the coven's I wanted to know more. To see more, anything about what the dark coven were after. I bounded on a white book with the title sprawled in red calligraphy at the spine: Introduction to dark magic.
As i touched it, the book hummed and vibrated, as if it could feel me picking it, then it flew from my grasp into the air and into Miles's grasp. He stood at the end of the isle, with his arms folded across his chest like a disappointed parent. I sighed. For a moment there I thought it was one of the professors. I would have been in some major trouble.
"What the fuck? Miles!" I say agitatedly at him, he holds the large book in the air beside him, afraid to touch it.
"We are not allowed in the restricted section Becky." He says. I roll my eyes. "Then why is it still here, why not move it to a more secured location?" I ask. I could feel Miles ponder on this for a while, because he was silent. Then he shook the thought from his head.
"What's your problem Becky?"
"My problem, is I'm the only one out of the rest of you who's actually trying her best to do something about all of these killings by the dark coven." I snapped. He furrowed his brows irritatedly. "That's what you think. Thayer says-"
"Miles...Thayer is afraid of them, isn't it pretty obvious?!" I cut him off.
"I mean, look they killed his father, they killed..." I froze when I saw Thayer standing at a corner, listening in With Emma. His eyes read indifference, shock and furry all at once which was confusing to read all together.
"Thayer..." My voice broke, and he shambled out of the library, Emma bounding after him calling on his name. Miles gave me a stern look too.
"You're a real bitch you know that now right?!" He sent the book back to me, it floated above and landed softly on my palm. "I hope what you're looking for is worth the trouble!" And just like that he stormed off. Drama queens! I snicker under my breath.
I quietly opened the book, it coughed a puff of black mist at my face and I dropped it instinctively. Sneezing the shit out of myself. It felt like I'd inhale a joint or something, only this one made me a thousand times more fucked up in the head. After my head cleared up a little I picked up the book and attempted to leave when I bumped into something hard.
I looked up, rubbing my throbbing head, it was that substitute History teacher. And my was he mighty fine!
"Are you alright?" He asks. I feel dizzy of a sudden, as I manage to nod.
"Hmm...yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I ask
"Who are you? Seeing you here I guess you're more than just a substitute History teacher. So you're like us. A Magizen." I say matter of fact. Only Magizens could cross into this place, as the cabinet outside the citadel don't open for regular people.
"You can say that..." He says darkly. Mysterious too.
"What are you doing with Avery?" I let the question slip.
"Why don't you ask her yourself?" He replies solemnly, his voice now taking on an edge. I click my tongue. "I will, after all she's about to become our seventh coven member." I blurt out. I couldn't believe I just told him that.
He laughed softly, but satirically. I hugged the book to my chest.
"What's so funny?"
"I won't let that happen." He says, just then I saw his eyes turn black, then back to grey, the air around him bent and shimmered like gas lines, and I felt my entire body crawl just standing within that proximity to him. Ambling back, he stretched his hand towards me.
"The book. You can't take magic items from the citadel outside." He recites one of the citadel laws. I sigh, handing him the book and storming out, hating him.
Why is everyone such a buzz kill! I thought to myself when I stomped into my room and slammed the door, the sound reverberating of the glass windows.
I tossed my bag over my bed, the contents spilling out, something heavy hits the ground.
I smiled when I saw what it was. This semester might not be so bad after all.
On my floor carpet was the big leather bound White book with its name glimmering at the spine: introduction to dark magic.