Chapter Six- Some Just Wanna Be Left Alone.

Avery

I hated the month of February. Maybe part the reason is that nothing ever happens... Not entirely true though. We had valentines. Which brings me to the original subject: I had no valentine this year. No boy crush, except for Terrence who was helping me with this whole magic stuff. I laid quietly in my bed, doing my possible best at ignoring Emma, she glares at my stylishly from above her shoulders as she put together her things. Since I'd told her about my discovery of some of the students secret at this school, she had felt somewhat uneasy. She acts weird around me, and sometimes as always wanted to know what books I read these days.
She still hadn't told me about Judy though, no one did. Not even Terrence. I doubted he even knew her. He doesn't talk about himself much. Just a cool, quiet teacher in his early twenties. And I looked forward to seeing him everyday when we had our secret meetings. Today he had promised to finally take me to the magical citadel. Apparently there was a whole secret library hidden under the walls of this godforsaken hell hole of a school, and today he had promised to take me there to dig more stuff about my abilities. I shrieked inside in excitement at the thought, burying myself back into my book he had given me earlier: A classification of Magizens through the ages. Which was actually a page turner. The diverse kinds of Magizens and their power variations; Thinkers, telekines, elementals who controlled various natural elements, listeners, lookers, earth whisperers. There where so many others too, then I noticed a missing page from the book. It was torn off completely, and it had another classification I was dying to see.
I sigh. Feeling Emma's shadow looming over me. Glaring up at her I retort: "what?"
"Um. Nothing. What ya reading?" She replies.
I turn the book to the back for her to see. She had a look of worry written all over her face. "Okay..." She notes to herself quietly.
"Ave, baby—"
"Can you please not call me that right now?" I snap softly at her. She winces, an expected reaction. Good.
"Okay." She swallows looking for the words to use for me at this point which I didn't give a fuck about.
"You need to understand whatever I did for you, I did to protect —"
I scoffed. "Oh my God Emma! You sound so fucking ridiculous right now you know that right?"
"I'm not a kid. You're older than I am, isn't a factor for your possessive dominance." I bellow, she winces more awestricken at my agitation on the matter. "Ave..."
Her voice falters. There is silence between us for a minute, we both looked down. Then the question that had been bothering me this whole time slid out my tongue.
"How long have you known?"
She blinks, mentally choosing her next words carefully. "Since the first day."
I turn abruptly at her, her eyes wavered in doubt for a split second. "What?" I say softly, doing my possible best to maintain my tranquility. She began to pace. "I felt something when you first got dropped off here by your mum. But I just couldn't pinpoint it..." She replies, her eyes squinting.
"Like there was a glass shield over you or something. Even the others couldn't —"
"You're saying you made me your roommate because I was a Magizen?" I ask, clearly vexed now.
"All my life...I've been treated like shit. My dad walked out on us when I was little, I lost my brother,  My mum thinks I'm crazy—"
"She doesn't. Look she dropped you off here for a reason. All of our parents did." She interjects with an arm stretched out in her protest. "See, there's this coven of dark Magizens hunting kids—"
"I know." I cut her off, she held her note. It felt so good to do that to her too. "Terrence told me all about them, and..." I froze my mind returning to that day in Virginia woods. Those hat wearing freaks!
"And?" Emma urged intently, though I knew she already knew the story a thousand times. I don't know what else she wanted to hear. It was a bit absurd.
I glare at her with a raised brow.
"Nothing, i have to meet up with someone." I told her quietly tugging the book into my bag, and throwing my feet to the floor. I pulled my blond hair back and adjusted my lavender sweater and blue jeans. I was really antsy to see this secret magic library Terrence told me about. He says something there would help us decipher my abilities. As I didn't fit in among the rest. I don't even know what  my powers are.
"What are you, I mean your abilities?" Emma blurts out, as of reading my thoughts. I roll my tongue, turning to face her, and folding my hands. That was easily the most embarrassing thing. I didn't know. "We still don't know."
"Ave, we can help you find that out. Join Our coven, we need just one more member to complete  us as a coven." She pleads with softer eyes, like her velvet voice would melt my heart, and I would bend to her request. But that shit had no effect on me no more.
"No thanks, Terrence told me you'd try to do this sooner or later." I retort, her brows furrows in shock.
"We are stronger as a—"
"What happened to Judy then, she was part of your leather jacket coven right?" I broke in mid explanation. The look on her face was that of guilt, rage and hate all at once. She placed her head down and sighed.
"That's in the past now, if you'd —"
"She's dead Emma, people said you two used to date each other!" I yelled, surprised at my own sudden rage.
"Ave. You need to chill and think straight you're not helping your condition" Emma remembered, which only made me more mad.
"My condition? I don't have one, the pills I tossed them away like days ago!" I bellowed, she seemed Stunned I no longer took them anymore, even if it meant seeing ghosts of dead people, as far as I saw Judy each passing day, I was okay.
"Judy played with magic she didn't understand and doomed us all." Says she.
I turned my back to leave when she grabbed me, at once I turned and then the room vanishes, replaced with different set of clothes, posters of Kodaline, and Avril Lavigne decorated our walls, there was a mauve colored rug under my feet, a pink bean bag, perhaps for visitors and there were two people on Emma's bed.
Emma herself and an older girl with long black hair coiling at the base wearing her leather jacket with floral designs at the base, and collar. Exactly the one she had given me earlier. It would appear that they couldn't make me out which was good. Carefully I walked closer to their bed, Judy was on top of Emma, and the two girls were having an intense make out session, Judy was so... Dominant, it was actually hot.
Judy's hands slipped into Emma's jeans down into her pants, and Emma's voice falters in utter pleasure as Judy continues her onslaught over her neck with her lips.
"Judy, babe?" Emma says trying to tell her she had had enough, and seeing them both when they were still together was heartbreaking. I have never seen Emma this happy before. Judy stroked her dark hair, drawing attention to her oval face.
"What are you thinking about babe?" Retorts Judy. Emma shrugs. "Nothing much."
Judy raised a brow anxiously.
"Fine. Can never hide anything from you huh?" Emma completed. Judy smiles knowingly. I watched intently as she tugged a hand in a secret compartment at her bedside, taking out an item wrapped in an old red parcel. I ambled closer to see what it was but I got pulled out forcefully from the memory. The bedroom I now recognize materializes before my eyes.
I stood, eyes fixated on as she Emma breathes heavily. Her breasts heaving up and down. What did I just see, and how? I glare at my hands, then at Emma. Had she perhaps noticed what I had done? I wondered.
Her expression written over her face answered my questions. Yes she knew, and was so terrified about it apparently.
"What... You and Judy were a thing?" I ask. "I thought those were rumors!"
"How did you—" Emma stutters, still clearly shaken up by my uninvited trip into her memories.
"You're like a thinker, you can see people's memories just by touch." She says appeasing my gift. I didn't want to ask about the parcel, but kept my suspicions to myself
I see judy behind me from Emma's shoulders. Today she wore a yellow short dress, black boots, a denim jacket and of course that fedora hat of hers that always made her look like a bad ass cowgirl. My heart warmed when I see her, and Emma noticing my abrupt change of mood turns instinctively behind her, but of course she sees nothing. I grin devilishly.
"Ave, please we can help you. The coven—"
"Why do you think I need help Emma?" I shot at her icily. "I have all the help I need. That's your problem Emma." I told her walking off, then stopping at our door, not turning around to meet her troubled expression.
"Stop trying to help everyone. Not everyone needs it. Some just wanna be left alone." And with that I walked off with Judy beside me grinning sheepishly all the way.
"You ready?" She asks when we reached the school's library, which Looks like an abandoned project in progress; the book shelves were halfly destroyed, eaten by termites. Half the books strewn all around the peeling tiles and the room smelt strongly of tobacco.
At the corner of the room, shielded with a row of tall shelves towering over each other was a cabinet. A simple regular filing cabinet placed on the wall.
Judy looks at me knowingly.
"What's the magic word, open sesame?" I retort with a laugh. Judy laughs too.
"Touch the second drawer." She says. I shrug and did what she said, once my palm touched it I felt a tingle under my palm, like someone was flickering a feather at my palm and it tickled. I Pulled back my hand, but that was all it needed because I could hear gears inside click and roar to life, it was amazing.
The cabinet moved to the side, the walls gave in opening up brick after brick like a jigsaw puzzle, revealing a darkened room with steep stone steps.
A chill went up my spine.
"Its down there huh?" But when I turn to look at her, I was standing alone.
I garnered whatever fragile courage i had and started down. Flaming torches lit up in both my sides automatically as i walk deeper.
On the walls were murals of people using diverse kind of magic, I saw some Magizens battling things that looked like demons and stuff, every mural caught my eye. Everything was telling a story, a tradition, a culture. A legend. My culture, hidden away from me all these time by people who claimed to love me. Finally after what felt like days of walking I saw an arched door ahead, racing with child-like wonder I made it to the huge hall with a towering roof that had moving constellations, and towering book shelves, with Magizens moving up and about their business, now the world suddenly feels extra large, and I realize there are things simply beyond me.