Chapter Nine- Slithering Gloria

Miles.

"You think I'm lying do you?" Becky says to Jaz, who only rolls her eyes. Everyone knew better than to trust anything Becky says.
"Its not like I think you're lying or anything Beks." Jaz starts tiredly. The latter shrugs defiantly. "Then what is?" Demanded Becky.
"You said the same thing one time last year when you said you saw Judith's ghost." She says and I immediately remembered that Halloween night last year when Becky had come running and screaming Into the old abandoned church were we were performing a little ritual, claiming Judith's spirit was after her. That night we had to fetch professor Ambrose the only reaper at our school who could help us confirm her claim. By the way, Reapers are Magizens who have the ability to see and commune with the living dead. They're not much of them around anymore. Probably thanks to some particular coven of Magizens.
I and Jaz have plans to go see a movie today or something and Becky brings something up as usual to try to diverge her interest. I was done with that!
"Look, all I'm saying is that there's this book." She continues.
I choke on my sandwich and, Jaz pats my back. "I hope its not that same book Becky!" I chide. She only rolls her eyes and waves her hand in dismissal at me.
"Whateves'" she sighs.
"He's right Beks." Jaz seconds. Straightening up, and keeping her game face. "If it might harm the coven I suggest you—"
"Off course you'll take his side!" Spat Becky, she had on a face of disgust. She started off, her boots crunching the fresh spring leaves as she walked off.
"Wait Beks!" Jaz calls running after her. "I'll see you later Miles" Jaz says to me, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek. I stand there on the lawn alone, with other students going about their business, and some playing one sport or the other. And generally being ignorant.
Most of the kids here had no idea of their magical heritage, so for now. Ignorance.
"Miles." I almost had my heart in my mouth when someone touched me, swiftly I turn around, and relax immediately when I see its only Thayer, our coven leader. He looked grim. Like he had seen a ghost or something.
"Holy shit! Thayer. You scared the shit outta me!" I tell him.
Thayer puts his muscled wrists into his beige pockets, shrugging it out. "Sorry. You don't looksettled now either yourself." I nod. I never take Thayer to be one of good leadership or to care about us, but lately he had proved me wrong. Since Judith's death, we had all had a play in it by the way. Ever since he had became our leader for the leather jacket coven.
"Hey,"I say.
"Um... Look Miles. I've got some solid leads on that item." He says to me, both hands deep in his pockets.
"You can't be serious." I say rolling my eyes tiredly.
For a year now Our coven has been on quite the quest for some mystical item that is supposedly crafted to ward of dark arts, but so far we hit a wall every time, we just gave up. So why now, All of a sudden did he have news?
"What are your leads Thayer?" I ask, walking down the Lawn towards the curb with him.
"Some guy at a bar uptown." He replies as we finally reach his jeep.
He opens his door, twitching his head for me to follow. I sigh, feeling indigh to follow him.
"Why do I get the feeling this is not gonna end well for any of us?" I say
"Its a leap of faith bro" Thayer shrugs again and ducks his head in. I do the same. Thayer smiles knowingly, turning on the stereo: old time road by Lil Nas. I sigh, with a brow raised at him. "Really?!"

****
Uptown, or downtown none of them looks the slightest gleeful, anytime I walk into a bar its all I get, unlike the ones at Virginia, full of life, and expression, not this hell hole of a bar. New Orleans bars at St Anne's are just heavenly.
This ones name was; Slithering Gloria. Littered with some kids our age, maybe even older. The walls a mix of black paint, and— is that blood? I couldn't quite shake the feeling but I keep feeling I know this place somehow, but just can't bring myself to remember quite well... Maybe it was the way the customers Glared at us.
The waiter waved at us, more specifically at Thayer. Who wouldn't?
Sauntering over to the mohagany counter. She looked older, like college-older; with red hair, green eyes as green as  the summer woods, her left arm is covered in tattoos depicting pegan culture.
"What can I get you boys for?" She says flirtatiously.
"We would like to see him please." Thayer says. Unfazed by her attempts to fawn him over.
"Who are you two fucks to demanding to see him? She asks. Thayer bent in just a little bit, so his face was dire, and a few inch away from her face. Putting out his hand, palm facing her. A small fire danced atop his palm, the girl thought for a while, this didn't faze her. She put down her rag cloth, inkling us to come with her to the back. We obliged.
Wandering around a hallway lit by a very dim yellow globe, if I wasn't walking so close to her I would have lost my way. We came to a stop at a metal door. It was rusty.
She glares at us like we know what to do now. After a while of waiting she saw we didn't, rolling her eyes she blew air at the door, it began to freeze from the top to bottom, and I saw it. A cross within a circle- the symbol of the Magizens. The door clicked and opened to receive us.
Inside seated in a black suit holding a black shiny cane with a gold skull as a pommel. Was a man roughly in his forties, dark stringy hair, the only thing that freaked us both was that when he turned to face us...
He had no face.
.