Chapter Seven- The Citadel

Avery

I could easily say the experience of being in such an ostentatious place was immensely conceding, like cold creeping up my spine, filling me with jitters. Like being to an amusement park for the first time, or maybe Disney world.
All round me, kids my age and older moved about performing or debating about one feat of magic or the other. I also noticed something about their eyes I read in the book Terrence had given me; Their eyes reflected their variation of abilities. Some eyes glowed blue, when they used magic, some green, red, purple etc.
Other students in the endless library glued eyes on me before looking away, it was obvious from the stupid look of awe on my face I was new.
What was I looking for again? I forgot, already lost in my own state of bliss. I notice it wasn't just a ample library, there were also rooms at every angle with typical desk chairs with a board. Only the classrooms were spent heavily for because the whole place gleamed like all of it was newly built. Probably part of its charm.
Who could have thought a place like this existed inside a fucked up school like this. This school gave a whole new meaning to the expression: Never judge a book by its cover.
There was no way I was going to find Terrence here in this maze of a library. I took out my phone and tried dialling his number, when my phone screen begins to scramble like a disoriented outdated television. What the heck?! I say to myself internally hitting on my phone screen.
"That's not gonna work." I jumped at the sound of his voice, turning around I see him standing elegantly with his glistening red hair, pale skin and stern but warm eyes fixed on me. Today he wore a white button sleeved shirt with a grey waist jacket that had intricate embroidery all over it, black pants over grey pair of oxford shoes. He wore a gold ring with some kind of inscription over it, I tried to inch closer to see it but by instinct he ambles backward a tad and puts that finger in his pocket.
"Welcome miss." He says coolly. I smile.
"I've told you, its Avery. What are you forty?" I retort with a quaint smile. He smiles halfway. "My apologies Miss—Avery." He corrects.
I was still pretty much impaled from the whole place, it felt too surreal. Like I just stepped into a fantasy novel. Beside me a kid my age walked by making an old chest float by him as he did, he waved and I waved back. I knew he had the gift of telekinesis. I mean duh!
Terrence touched me in the shoulders, his touch was very light I almost couldn't feel it.
"Come on, let's meet the professors."
We walked down the endless isle of towering book shelves, arriving finally in a medium sized study, with four people in it; Three men, and a lady.
Now when he said professors, I was expecting to see a bunch of old shriveled up grumpy adults whom have lived far too long, but instead I saw people who looked like they just started their lives as adults. They all looked like they were in their early thirties, just like Terrence, though Terrence was way younger. The men had black hair except one with blond hair like mine, and the lady had a green tinted hair with green eyes, and green nail polish. She smiled at me knowingly, forcing my face to reciprocate.
"This must be Miss Avery Sanderson." Says the blond professor wearing a blue blazer and black pants. I nod, though not entirely sure about how they came to know my name.
"This is professor August" Terrence introduced. He shook my hand.
"Please call me August," he says shortly.
"I'm professor Darwin Edward." Came the second; a tall guy in a red blazer with matching pants and flowing rich black hair, i was tempted to ask what kind of conditioner he uses. I moved on to the last male professor.
"Professor Ryan Sombers." He says gently shaking my hand, when he did I felt something move inside of me as if searching me thoroughly. Like entering a library and tossing everything down from the shelves just to find a particular book. It was irritating. I willed myself to let go, and shut him out, when I did he was tossed back a few paces, softly brushing his back against the high wooden desk with intricate designs.
The room fell silent and the professors looked at me in awe.
"Wow!" Professor Ryan enthuses. I decided I hated this man.
"Ryan that isn't particular nice now is it?" Came the lady's voice.  A perfect English accent. She smiles at me. "You will have to forgive our colleague here, he gets a bit intuitive after meeting someone for the first time. An old habit of thinkers." She says with a hearty laugh. Professor Ryan composed himself again, looking almost apologetic.
"Professor Pennyworth. Nice to meet you darling." She says giving me a hug instead of a handshake. I loved this woman. She reminded Me of warm summer air feeling my lungs, and hiking and camping outdoors. And then I remembered again...
"I commend you for resisting my power miss Sanderson." Professor Ryan starts with an eerie smile, it sent chills down my spine.
"Ryan." Warns professor August casually with a smile.
"Don't freak the poor girl out." Professor Edward adds. professor Ryan nods silently before walking off his shoes clicking in a distance.
Professor August turned at me.
"So dear what are you?" He asks. The question that I've been dreading this whole time. What category did I fall into? I don't know.
"Um..."
"We're still figuring that out." Terrence came in for me. Professor Edward rubs his shaved chin, he had on a tinkering face. That can't be good at all.
"That's not good, you have to know what you are if we are to help you learn." Professor Pennyworth says frankly worried.
"We came to research that—" Terrence was saying
"What have you done lately?" Professor Edward retorts, putting his glasses on the bridge of his nose. There was silence for a while.
I looked at Terrence for approval before answering. He nods softly.
I swallowed. "I see stuff."
They all raise their brows.
"Like when I touch things I can see these memories..." I let that hang in the air for a while. They gave me puzzled looks, one time when I touched my roommate Emma I could see stuff about her..." I add, remembering that day myself and shivering at the thought of it.
They mumbled among themselves for a while.
"She might be a seer...or perhaps a thinker." I heard professor Pennyworth say.
"No she's not, Ryan would have known as soon as she opened the secret passage to the citadel, after all he's our most powerful thinker." Professor August interjects like I wasn't standing in front of them. Terrence squeezes my hand and a familiar warmth envelopes me, like being wrapped in a warm blanket. "It'll be okay. Whatever happens I'll be here always." He assures me his eyes twinkles, I swerved my gaze swiftly from him, my heart doing a drumroll in my chest. What the fuck was that feeling?
The professors turned to face us in sync.
"If we may ask, we didn't send you an invitation so how did you know of this place, of the Magizens?" Professor Edward strictly asked. I was internally speechless. Terrence was going to answer for me, but I stopped him. I was tired of people doing stuff on my behalf.
"She told me about it." I say.
"Who did, Emma?" Professor Pennyworth retorts.
"No, it was Judith. I call her Judy, she is a thinker." Everyone gasped even students who were just passing by who happen to hear us.
Professor August waves his hand lazily, the door swings shut, so as the windows.
The professors face was that of absolute terror, and anxiety.
"H-h-how did you come in touch with Judith?" Stutters professor Pennyworth.
I looked at them puzzled, why the hell were they acting like I just survived a bomb explosion?!
"I uh- kinda punched her in the face." I reply bashfully. It only made things worse, Terrence held my shoulder.
"You see why I had to bring her here. She has a very peculiar gift." He says enthusiastically. Professor August nods his head in awe.
"Agreed. The girl is special."
"I don't understand. You think I'm special because I punched someone in the face?" I retort. Then I could feel the same terror when professor Pennyworth grabbed my hands in hers looking straight in my eyes as the words reigned out from her tongue.
"Sweetheart. Judith Clayson died two years ago."