29

The lady gave us a knowing smile and began flipping through the pages. I realized she must be clairvoyant since she wasn't questioning us. Lara gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and brought it to her lips. The witch found the designated pages and silently read it.

Lara and I looked at the page. The language was a mixture between ancient Greek, Latin, hieroglyphs, and some other languages. Lara's brows were furrowed together as she read over the hieroglyphs. I'm guessing she's not accustomed to that language.

"We need our blood to assist with the spell." She produced a blade and slit her palm.

I held my palm out for her to draw the designated amount of blood. She did and positioned my dripping palm over a bowl. Together, our blood dripped into a bowl. Our wounds quickly closed before we rested our hands back down.

The witch took the bowl and began adding different ingredients to it. She began muttering stuff when mixing the concoction together. I watched her break apart a root and mash it up before adding it. The witch poured the mixture into two shot glasses.

"We'll have to consume some of the mixture before we perform the spell." Lara handed me the glass.

I held back a gag. This didn't smell even remotely appetizing. Lara chuckled at the face I was making.

"To fulfilling my promise to Zena and taking her to the beach." She clinked out glasses together.

"Bottoms up." I mumbled before consuming the disgusting drink.

Lara and I laughed at the faces we were making. The witch snapped us back to reality when she used a ribbon to tie our hands together. She then had Lara and I hold her hands. She motioned for Lara to chant with her.

Purple mist circulated around Lara's hand the deeper she got into the spell. I felt the wind pick up and the temperature get colder. I clutched onto Lara's hand to help center me since the room felt like it was spinning. Without stopping, Lara squeezed my hand back. I began to feel lightheaded from the spinning. I refused to shut my eyes and stared ahead.

I jolted when the door was thrown open. Bruno and the pack entered. They sneered at the sight and rushed towards us. I was panicking because they were a few feet away. Right before Bruno could touch me, the spinning stopped.

My ears were ringing so I tightly shut my eyes. I felt Lara release my hand and opt for holding my arms. I think she was trying to say something, but her words were muddled. Slowly, I began to decipher what she was saying. She was asking if I was okay. I opened my eyes to see her concerned face.

"Are you alright, my love?" Her gaze was fixed on me.

I looked around and saw that we were the only ones in the house. No old lady and no Bruno. Instead of answering her, I wrapped my arms around her. She was momentarily stunned before embracing me as well.

"We're home." I silently cried into her.

"Yes, we are, my love. Now, let's find our daughter."