3/ How Can I Make Up For Your Failure?

"I'm not going." Yuri replied, guilt tugging at his heart like veins rejecting an IV.

"What do you mean?"

"Next up! Representing China-" The voice felt blurry and distant to Victor. All his work, where did it go?"

"You're supposed to be going up next, Yuuri. What's going on, don't tell me-"

For once, Yuri's once timid voice filled to the brim with overwhelming confidence. "I dropped out."

Victor's eyes hardened, his hands sliding off Yuuri's shoulders and retreating to his side. He bit the corner of his lip, his jaw tightening around it like a baby with a pacifier. "I can't believe you." He mumbled.

"Are you disappointed in me?"

"Beyond. All this work, and for what? I.. I only competed against you because I wanted to see what you could do. How far you've come." Tears drizzled down Victor's fair complexion. However, he was far from perfect; his nose was running and eyes puffy.

Despite this, Yuuri didn't raise a hand to him. He simply stood there, a gentle, reassuring smile covering his face.
"I don't want to skate on the same ice as everyone else. I don't want to skate behind you, I don't want to have to beat you or have you beat me. I want to skate with you. And if I can't compete against you, let me compete with you."

<3

That same day, Yuuri grasped Victor's hand and booked it out of the building, fingers intertwined.

"You want to do pairs, right, Yuuri?" Victor asked, his feet struggling to catch up with Yuuri's running. "That's impossible!"

"I know that! But I have an idea, so trust me a little, okay?"

<3

"Victor, what do you think would happen if we tried doing pairs?" Yuuri asked, half asleep. His head was plopped on a cluster of blankets, curled up right next to Victor - who was almost completely out too.

"We'd probably be disqualified. Same-sex pairs aren't allowed." Victor noted, his finger joints fisted and rubbing his resting eyelids.

"What if one of us pretended to be a girl?"

"That's a lot of new documents we have to fill out, Yuuri."

"I'm not asking to do it, you know," Yuuri cut himself off with a yawn as his eyes came to a close. "You're too muscular to be a girl, anyway."

"But you could pull it off."

Victor and Yuuri sat in their hotel room, seperate beds, quiet as ever. The lights flickered, and the room has just as much personality as the pale white on the walls.

"You're genuinely going to create new legal documents?" Victor questioned, moving over to Yuuri's bed and making himself comfortable. "How would you even do that, anyway?"

"To be honest, I'm not really sure. Part of me knows this is illegal but at the same time, I really want to try doing pairs with you."

"Why do we have to do it in the public eye? Why can't be post it on YouTube or something?"

"Because then we earn nothing. We don't feel the same rush we would at a competition." Yuuri wasn't even sure why he was defending such a cruel, illegal act.

"Hm, okay, I have an idea, then."