Chapter 7 - Never Alone

Poppy is happy. Thrilled almost. There're so many reasons to be happy right now. Well, there are actually three of them.

So the first one is the Day. This Day. Everything is ready, nice shadows lie under every tree, and inside houses are pleasant coldness, so trolls and other critters have a place to rest safely. Everything is ready for Midday, the goddess is waiting only for the hour. Finally, her plan will work, trolls will take a break from hardworking and save an hour, maybe more, so one Night, maybe one Night, Branch will agree to teach trolls how to throw a party!

The second reason is the Fest. It's only three days to that special event when Immortals (every single one of them!) meet to celebrate their work in the previous year and Poppy is looking forward to it! She can't wait to see her father and all of her friends in one place! And she can't wait to take part in the Sharing! It's the very first time she can join in as a full goddess and tell everyone what she made this year! Poppy is excited every time she thinks about it.

And the third reason is something that makes her heart jump happily and forces her lips to smile wider than she needs to. Branch, the god of the Night, is here with her, walking arm to arm with her, with his hoodie taken off, with his calm sapphire sight and long navy hair moving by the light wind. It is so good to have someone by her side and it is so good to see his face and know if he's smiling or frowning. Poppy still can't get why she can't look into his blue eyes without her heart beating faster and her chicks getting warm. She was thinking about it the whole Night, but she has no idea why. She just decided to look at his nose instead when they talk or anywhere else but not into his eyes. It would look weird, but it's the only way she can focus on the talk right now. But she's going to fix that. She can fix everything, so does herself. Right?

- I still don't understand the way you control the Staff - Branch's calm voice brings her back to reality. - You said... You asked the Staff for more light?

- Yes, roughly speaking - The goddess shrugs her shoulders. - It was more like 'begging' than 'controlling'.

- So how can you be sure that you can do it once again?

- I'm not.

Branch looks at her with his eyebrow lifted.

- My plan is to improvise - She smirks at him.

The god chuckles. And she finds herself staring a few seconds too long at his light smile. She looks away and clears her throat.

- Well, let's find out if this would work - She points at the hill. She starts running upon, feeling so much energy in her body. She can't wait, she can't wait, she can't wait! She is panting with excitement when she digs the Staff in the hill. Is everything ready? Is this the right time? Is this already Midday? She doesn't know what she should wait for. She can start it, right?

The goddess of the Day turns to the god of the Night. He has already his hoodie on his head, expecting the explosion of the Light, and she can't see his face again. But he nods to encourage her. Poppy takes a deep breath. Why is she so stressed now?

She looks around at the whole Earth below her. Trolls are working in the fields or in their villages, critters are walking around lazily eating something or playing with others. The world is in peace.

Poppy touches the Gold Sphere with her forehead and closes her eyes. The whispering ask is falling from her lips. Her hands are trembling slightly when she is speaking words from her heart. She says it and then gets silent, waiting. Her thoughts freeze. Her whole body freezes. There is nothing but her calm breath, her hands on the Staff, and her forehead on the Sphere. She's waiting.

The Silence is that deep that Poppy jumps sharply at Branch's quiet gasp.

She looks at the Staff and it is so bright! She did it! She did it again! She looks around so upset, worrying about the creatures. But they are sitting or lying safely in the trees' and houses' shadows, enjoying the break, napping, or talking with each other. Only then Poppy let herself squeal happily with joy.