Chapter 19 - The Light

The door slowly opens with an unpleasant squeak.

- Come in - Milton whispers shyly, taking a quick nervous look at them cuddling on the floor.

Poppy and Branch stand up without enthusiasm. They don't leave each other's hands. The goddess feels Branch's finger carefully strokes the ring on her hand. She heaves a quiet sigh, squeezing his hand slightly.

They cross the doorstep together.

The Immortals around are standing and gazing at them, waiting for them in the weird strange Silence. King Peppy is in the middle of the Hall, holding the cracked Sphere in his hands. Only the Sphere. Without the Staff. Poppy and Branch go across the room and stand right in front of him, waiting for his order.

- We... - King clears his throat and starts again with quite a calm tone. - We were discussing for a while. And that's what we've decided. - With those words, he handles the Sphere. - We think if there's anyone who can fix It, it's you two.

Poppy and Branch glances at each other with surprise. They expected anything but that. The goddess leaves her lover's hand and reaches for the Sphere, grabbing it in both her hands. Branch embraces it with his hands and now they stand with It between them, holding it together.

- Wh-what can we do? - The blue god asks helplessly. He speaks so quietly that only Poppy can hear him. - It's Rose's power of creation. We don't have power like that...

Poppy stares calmly at the magic ball in their hands.

- What if we have - She whispers in a weird tone.

Branch frowns at her.

- I mean... I loved my mother - She explains shyly. - And you loved your Queen, too.

The god opens his eyes so widely.

- Maybe that's enough - She finishes, looking finally at him. He is shocked, but also impressed, slowly connecting the dots she threw at him so suddenly. Realization is flowing down his face.

- I've never thought about it like that... - He whispers, looking down at the Sphere again. - I mean... Since we found out about each other, I've always thought it's just you and me... That I can love only you

She just can't not smile at him, even in this weird situation when everybody is staring at them and waiting for a move. She just can't not smile at those words. She looks down at the Sphere with that smile.

Maybe Love is the power... Maybe that's what her dad and the Immortals are expecting for them. They think about Love as a brand-new power of creation... And it's a bit of truth. But Poppy knows Love isn't a power. It's not like a magic light of the Staff or the black abyss of Chaos. It isn't really touchable. She isn't even sure if it's in her heart or in her head. If it's a feeling or kind of relationship. Destination or decision. Maybe a bit of everything. But for sure, Love isn't a power to fix magic things. The goddess frowns at the crack on the Sphere feeling nothing but a guilt trip.

- I used to ask It for warmth and light - Poppy whispers sadly. - I mean... I was talking to It and It was listening to me. Now I feel like we should apologize. I need to apologize. I need It to hear that.

Branch nods gently. When she lifts the Sphere and leans her forehead against It, he does exactly the same. They close their eyes, not knowing that they work in sync.

- Dear Gold Sphere - Poppy says a bit louder, trying to speak from her heart. - We did a stupid, selfish thing. We forgot about you and dropped you. We regret it so much.

- We are so sorry - Branch continues with the same tone. - We thought we would never let you down... But we failed.

- You are still important to us - She goes on. - To all of us. We still need you, we still can not live without you.