Chapter 16 - I love you

- There! - Milton, the god of the critters, stands on the top of the hill and points at something on the other side. - Aren't they amazing?

Poppy climbs upon and stands next to him. She looks where he points and gasps.

- Branch! - The goddess turns back and calls out her dear blue man, who doesn't run after Milton as she did. - Come here! You have to see this!

Branch chuckles, seeing her enthusiasm. He gets faster and soon he is by her side.

Well, the view is amazing. Big... No, Huge! The huge, grey creatures with massive round feet, with a gigantic hairless wrinkled body, step heavily swingling in the long line. Their noses are so long, looking like their fifth limb. They grab with them each other's little tails. Their big ears are waving as if they use them as fans.

- I call them "Elephants" - Milton announces with genuine pride.

- They are so big! - Poppy beams, staring with amazement at the creatures marching in front of them, down the hill.

- How long have you been creating them? - Branch asks.

- A few years? I didn't count - The violet god smiles carelessly. - They are my biggest project, for sure.

The Immortals stare at the elephants for a while. They are absolutely incredible. Some of them are chasing each other for fun. Little ones are running around their parents, sometimes crash into their huge legs and fall with the loud squeal. One of the big elephants helps his child to stand up, lifting him with his long trunk. Little creature trumps happily at him and his parent pats his back.

But whatever they do in the meanwhile, they never stop walking. They take breaks for playing, but they always come back to the long line they make.

- Where are they going? - The pink goddess tilts her head like a curious puppy.

- They are walking animals. Wanderers - Milton explains. - They have no home, never stay in one place for longer than a day. It is their nature. - He puts his hand on his hips. - It's kinda an experiment of mine. I wanted to create some kind of animals-explorers.

- They have no home? - Poppy asks with compassion. Suddenly she feels a hint of loss. She has no home either.

- They are home to each other - The violet god points at the elephants' line. - See how they are holding each others' tails? They just don't want to lose each other, they are so important to each other. Elephants make big families, and as long as they are together, they are happy.

Poppy glances at one of the baby elephants, holding his mummy's tail and swinging it happily. She smiles warmly at the creatures. That's so sweet.

The sudden touch of warmth surprises her. She feels her hand sinking into it, her fingers intertwist with something soft and new. She looks aside and meets Branch's eyes.

- Um... - The blue god smiles shyly. - You don't have a tail, don't you?

Poppy gazes down at their hands clasped together. They've never done this. Why? They just didn't think about that before, but she's sure they start to do it much more often now. It is so nice.

The words Branch said echo in her head. They just sounded so weird.

- A tail? - She frowns at him.

He chuckles slightly and smiles tenderly out of nowhere.

- You know, I just... got inspired again - He said warmly, putting his chin on her shoulder. - I just wanted to show you I don't want to lose you. You are important to me. Look at those creatures. They have no home. No place to own. They own only themselves. Just like us.