Chapter Nine: The Tragic Downfall of Mrs. Hinkleson

Me and Chris have plans to go out again tonight.

A week after our first date, he has invited me to go to a movie. I suggested we do something more casual, so here it is.

I'm in black jeans and a sweatshirt, and we're hoping to catch a throwback showing of Jaws tonight, if he shows up on time.

Which he does.

At least he's not in a suit.

Chris and I have been talking a lot more in the last week, mostly at lunch. I've started to realize that he's actually somewhat okay to hang out with. I've come to the conclusion that our first date was only awkward because we were still thawing from everything that happened. This one's guaranteed to be better.

We talked a lot about movies during our bonding time. He hates Star Wars. I can't believe it. What a little bitch. Except he likes a lot of good stuff too, so I can't complain. Still, hating a classic like that...

"Hey, Audrey," he says as I walk up towards his car.

"Hey."

I climb into the passenger seat of his car and we're at the theater in no time. The car ride passes in comfortable, companionable silence.

When we step out of the car and into the cool, amazing-smelling movie theater, I beeline for the popcorn booth.

I'm about to ask him if he wants caramel popcorn or plain when I notice that Chris has disappeared. I look around to try and find him, but I can't spot him. This is weird. He was just here a minute ago. I look around more carefully and finally see him near the back of the room, calling someone on his phone with a look of worry on his face.

I step out of the line (I know. Crazy.) to go see what's wrong. When I approach Chris, he makes a slight jerk of the head and a motion that seems to imply, not right now. Give me a second.

He speaks to the person on the other end. "Yeah. Okay, but can't it wait? I'm seeing a movie with this chick..."

I realize what's happening. Something's up, and he's cancelling. I hope for his sake that it's something serious and not just a plot to get away from me. Wait, I'm wearing deodorant, right?

When he hangs up, I don't ask what happened but he tells me anyway.

"My friend needs help with his homework, and his parents are busy and his other friends are too. I've gotta go. Sorry, Audrey, can we do this some other time?"

"Oh. Okay," I respond, too startled to be angry. I mean, everyone else is busy, yeah, but so was Chris. He grins in thanks and leaves quickly, pocketing his phone.

He leaves in his car before I can even say goodbye. I know that he's probably heading somewhere that doesn't pass by my place, but he could've at least asked if I needed a ride. Which I do, since it's freezing outside and I came here with a person who left me hanging for someone's homework.

I curse loudly, causing a mother to look at me repulsively while shielding her baby's ears. Sorry, kid.

***

"He just bailed on you?" Jenna yelps through my phone. I respond with a quick yes, somewhat grateful that she's so pissed on my behalf.

I ended up taking a bus home. I told my dad and Jeremy that Chris dropped me off a block away so they wouldn't get suspicious, but I don't know how well that worked.

"That piece of shit. I hope you told him that you were definitely not gonna go along with the whole rescheduling bullshit. You did, didn't you?"

I hesitate, long enough for her to guess. "Well...no."