Chapter Eighteen: Kevin McCallister Is Actually Terrifying, I Said What I Said

I'm leaning on Chris's shoulder as we watch a sappy rom com at my house.

It's stupid and predictable and I barely manage to stay awake.

"God, I hated that movie," I say when it's finally over. It's not like I ever had high hopes, but sometimes rom coms can be good.

Chris laughs. "It wasn't that bad. I thought you'd like it."

"That guy was a dick to her. I don't get why she married him. I would've dumped him. Or actually, scratch that. I wouldn't have dated him in the first place."

"Even though he had a sexy accent and abs?"

I look at him. "Who cares about that stuff if he's a piece of shit?"

Chris chuckles. "You, clearly."

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. I'm going to go get something to eat."

"Make me a sandwich!" He says and snorts a laugh.

It's that fast.

Maybe it's the fact that we just finished watching that shitty movie. Or maybe it's been a long time coming. But either way, I suddenly decide I don't really want to be with him anymore.

"What the fuck is that supposed to mean?" I say defensively.

"I..."

"Seriously. Tell me."

"I never..."

We're quiet for a minute, as I stare at him, daring him to keep talking. He glares back, which makes me snap.

"Why are you angry?" I demand.

"Because you're being unfair!"

"How the hell am I being unfair? You're the one who said make me a sandwich!"

"C'mon, Audrey. You're upset because you didn't like the movie. Let's just... watch something else."

"Forget the movie. I think... well, I don't know if this is going to work."

"What are you saying?" He asks, looking incredulous.

"I'm dumping you," I say in a rare confident tone.

He jumps up from the couch. He yelps, "What? You're completely overreacting. Why are you girls like this? It was just a stupid comment."

"Yeah, and it's been just a "stupid comment" or "something stupid" every time you've fucked up! It's always like this!"

"You always twist my words!"

"No, you did this yourself. I'm just finally saying something."

"You're overreacting, you know that?"

The words sting. "Why? 'Cause I'm finally standing up for myself? I don't hear you even apologizing for what you said! You haven't bothered any of the times you've done stuff like this. I'm so fucking sick of you!"

He's quiet for a few seconds, then he runs a hand through his hair. "Fine. We're over."

"I said it first. Get away from me!"

And he storms out my front door, slamming it shut behind him.

***

I end up at Jack's house. I don't know why. Maybe it's because everyone else is going through their own shit, and maybe it's because of something else. I barely remember getting my dad's car started or driving to his street.

Tears cloud my eyes, which makes no sense. I'm the one who broke up with Chris. So why am I the one feeling terrible?

I go to knock on the door, think better of it, and call him.