Epilogue

The late September air is cool as I stand in the garden, pointing guests towards their seats and offering each one a brochure. The entire patio has been cleared of picnic tables and now contains parallel benches on two sides, creating an aisle between them.

It's only the beginning of the evening, and the sun is still peeking out from above the horizon, but it won't be there much longer. Soon the lights are going to go up, changing this place from a regular park to a moonlit garden.

I hand the last of the brochures in my hands to a tall woman and what looks like her daughter. I don't recognize them, so I guess that they are coming from the other side of the family.

Glancing at my phone, which is stored in my little handbag, I check the time. I have to get to the gazebo where everyone's getting ready, and soon.

In a hurry, I rush to meet everyone.

Henry is the first person I see, sitting next to Genevieve and talking her ear off. He looks put together in a white button down, and I realize with a sad little twinge that he looks a lot older like this.

And of course there's the wheelchair. He's gotten more accustomed to moving around in it, thank God. The first few weeks were the hardest, but I always tried to be there for him and so did all of the rest of us.

It hits me in a hard, painful realization: he's not the same kid I grew up with. We've both grown so much, and been through too much for anything to truly be the same ever again. But one thing's for sure, he's still my twin-brother through and through.

We're both just older now.

Then he turns and sees me, and blows me a raspberry, and I reconsider.

Genevieve looks stunning as usual, in an elegant, flowing gown of wine red. Her hair is done up and her confidence is contagious.

I quickly say hi to my siblings and move to find my other friends, looking for one person in particular.

I see Natalia sitting in a chair in a yellow dress I've seen her in a million times, but she still manages to make it look new and gorgeous. Jenna is behind her, standing up and trying to do her hair while glancing frequently at her phone. She's definitely using Google.

After lending a quick helping hand to Natalia's hair situation, I quickly glance at my reflection in the dimly lit glass mirror.

When I picked out my clothes, I was hesitant because dark green is not a colour I usually wear, but I think it looks okay in this lighting.

I hear Natalia say to Jenna, from behind me, "Hey, um, promise you'll save a dance or two for me?" I can tell she's nervous because she says it quickly and ducks her head.

I don't move, straining my ears to eavesdrop. In the mirror I see Jenna's mouth quirk up. "Okay," she whispers. "I promise."

Natalia smiles down at her lap shyly, and says, "Good."

"Good." Jenna tucks Natalia's hair behind her ear.

I have to stop myself from squealing by squeezing my fists. They are so fucking cute.

My heels pinch my feet as I make my way over to check on some of the other people in the room, nodding hellos and occasionally helping touch up someone's hair or makeup.

Suddenly I feel a pair of familiar arms grab me from behind, hugging me, and I laugh.

"Get off, you oaf," I tell Jack, who doesn't let go of me. "You're going to mess up my hair."

I finally break out of his embrace and turn to face him. His face looks amused. "Good idea," he comments, reaching to mess up my hair.

"Don't touch the hair," I say in the best imitation of my boyfriend's voice that I can do.

He scowls at me. "You know, I was going to tell you that you look beautiful tonight, but now I don't think I will."

I giggle and kiss him. "You look cute too," I point out.

"Yeah, that's what every guy wants to hear. Cute." He rolls his eyes.

"Sorry," I grin. "You look ridiculously hot. Better?"

He pretends to straighten his non-existent bow tie, then bows sarcastically. "Much. And it's all for you, m'lady."

I snicker and take his hand and we walk towards where my dad is adjusting his tie, looking nervous.

I clap him on the back reassuringly. "Dad. You've got this. Now go up there and get married."

He chuckles. "Thanks for the advice. You two all ready? We're on in a few minutes."

Jack pipes in to wish him luck, then we step out into the evening for a quick breath of fresh air.

He squeezes my hand. "Hey. Look, you can see the stars."

I look up and see that Jack is right. The sky is dusted with stars that aren't usually visible where we live. I guess the dim lighting helps, but I wonder what it would look like in pitch darkness. "I think the one you're pointing to is actually a planet."

"A, you're ruining the moment. I'm trying to be romantic and charming."

"Sorry."

We stand out there for a while in silence. I look back towards the gazebo, where the wedding party is getting ready, and then to the patio where the guests wait.

The chatter of my family and friends relaxes me, and Jack's presence stabilizes me.

As the music begins and the sparkling lights come up, illuminating everything, I hear the gasps of wonder from everyone around me as they watch the night garden come to life.

But the only thing I'm looking at is the person holding my hand, and the only thing he is looking at is me.

THE END