Chapter Thirty Two: Failed Parenting, Vasectomies and Ketchup Cake

So I'm sitting at home, barbeque sauce on my titties, when my phone buzzes.

I'm serious by the way because I was eating leftover chicken wings and one accidentally dropped down my shirt. God I'm too clumsy for my own good, I must work on getting that fixed...

I glance at the text that pops up and see immediately that it's from Jack, and it says, I'm outside let me in.

I drop the chicken wing I'm holding and shove the plate away from me as I stand up from the kitchen table. Carefully so that he can't see me I look out the window to check if he's just messing with me, but I see a familiar looking car outside...

Wondering what he could be doing here, I squint my eyes to try to see farther and sure enough I see a tall figure in my driveway.

Jack is just getting out of his car, and I can't see his expression but I just know he's smirking right now. As he locks his car door, not facing the house, he runs a hand through his dark hair, messing it up as if he's nervous about something.

Then he turns around and I quickly duck out of sight so he can't tell I was looking out the window.

Oh my god he's actually here. What is he doing here?!

Breathe Audrey. Breathe. Uh...how do I breathe again? I think I forgot.

I quickly run upstairs to put on a new t-shirt because this one has barbeque sauce on it, cursing myself for not being cleaner. The doorbell rings from downstairs and I mutter, "Shit, shit shit, shit, shit..." but I say it so quickly under my breath so it just sounds like I'm saying something like, "Shshshshshshsh."

I throw on a green top, not even bothering to put my dirty shirt in the laundry basket and sprint back downstairs two steps at a time, where I almost trip.

I can picture this perfectly as an action movie scene, me running upstairs and back downstairs with dramatic fight music blasting in the background and me flipping my hair dramatically in slo-mo as I jump over the landing down the stairs...

Aaaaand cut!

Snap out of it, Audrey.

In reality, I just dash downstairs almost slipping on the stairs if I hadn't grabbed the railing and saved myself from certain death.

I wrench open the door for Jack, panting slightly, and do my best attempt of a normal voice when I demand, "Jack, what are you doing here?"

I pause afterward, because he looks really hot today, I have to admit it.

Well... he always looks really hot, so what's new?

His hair messily styled in a way that looks like he just rolled out of bed. His eyes are a lighter brown that look like caramel or honey because they're illuminated with sunlight. He gives me his signature smirk that really makes him fit the whole "bad boy" aesthetic, complete with a leather jacket over a white shirt and jeans that fit him so well it makes you want to...

Okay I'm not going to finish that sentence. My brain is truly an... interesting place.

"Come on, aren't you at least a little happy to see me? I'm hurt." Jack touches his heart dramatically with a wicked grin on his face.

I look up at him with a raised eyebrow. "Happy to see you? Please, I'd be happier to see a dead corpse riding on a merry-go-round giraffe naked."

Jack bursts out laughing, "Where in the nine circles of hell did that mental image come from?"

His entire expression is carefree, bright and relaxed. He throws his head back laughing without a care in the world, letting the sunlight kiss his skin and letting his perfect white teeth practically blind me and I can only watch, trying not to stare but failing miserably.