14 | drowned blood

She promised

She promised.

I kept repeating that sentence in my head. She had promised yet she broke it.

"Be careful you two!" I demanded crossing my arms over my chest. Those two may be older but sometimes it was hard to keep up with them, especially Lucia.

"We will, I promise," Lucia answered smiling. Even though I was confident that everything was going to go fine, I couldn't help but worry. They were like sisters to me and the only people I had left who I could call my family.

"Roy, it is time!" Isa announced placing one hand on my shoulder and rubbing the spot making it harder for me to calm down.

"Ci.. I need to see her." I declared not being able to take a glance at her and walking away into the dark hall in front of me.

After five years of feeling numb and shutting down all my emotions.

After five years of being able to bottle up every emotion in my body, I broke.

Every single thing I had ever locked up came rushing down, and it was too overwhelming to a point I knew for the first time in five years I was weak again.

Only this time I couldn't let myself be weak, I needed to be strong for my cousin, for the one who truly lost someone the way not one of us had.

Nothing and I meant nothing in the world was more important than my family.

They were everything I have and had I would give everything to protect them with my life. Even if that meant drowning in the process and risking my own happiness because, at the end of the day, their happiness was mine.

I wasn't afraid of the dead, quite the opposite I thought it was interesting.

Disappearing from the earth, your soul leaving your body and drifting off somewhere else far away.

It excited me to see what came after death.

But I was afraid to see my close ones die.

I never wanted to see someone close to me leave, I would rather die myself.

I would rather want them to come to my funeral than I to theirs. I would rather want them to cry over me than I cry over them, feel the hurt they applied on me.

And if that makes me a selfish person then so be it, because I never would I want to experience such hurt.

It hurt, like someone was ripping your heart out slowly, taking their time while starring at you with regretful apologetic eyes telling me over and over that they didn't want to cause this pain.

Their time was just up.

How could people live like this, knowing they were never going to see that someone again?