eleven

After the school day is over

Finally, the weekend. I'm officially starting my job tomorrow. Joe called me in today after school to teach me how to work everything. So now I'm fully prepared and actually kind of excited to start earning money.

When I was younger I always wanted to have my own cafe and serve customers. Every Christmas I would get a cash register and fake plastic food. My dad always played with me pretending to be a customer, I miss him a lot. But he hasn't even contacted me since we left Mystic Falls, so I guess he doesn't miss me too much.

.....

Arriving home after Joe taught me all the basics on how to serve customers and make a coffee, I opened my front door and walked upstairs to my room. "Not even a hello" my mum says as I stop half way up the stairs.

"Sorry it's just been a long week and I start work tomorrow so I'm gonna go to sleep, night" I say hardly keeping my eyes open walking into my room, shutting my door.

I quickly wipe my makeup off, brush my teeth, put on my pyjamas and get into my warm bed. Wrapping my arms around my pillow as I start to doze off into a deep and peaceful sleep.

.....

BEEP, BEEP, BEEP. My alarm went off, rubbing my eyes as I groaned I reached over to my clock trying to find it to stop the agonising ringing in my ears. The brutal sound of pain never seemed to end as I loudly grunt and throw my clock on the floor breaking it into tiny pieces as the batteries fly out, oops.

After ten minutes of getting ready I put on my shoes and make my way to the kitchen. "Hey darling. All ready for work?" my mother says as she walks towards me. "Yip just need you to drive me there" I reply.

She squeezes my face with her hands, "Awh my little baby is all grown up having her first job" my mum says making me feel sick. "Mum just, just stop. Please" I say as I push her hands off my face. "Just showing how much I love you, jeez. Right let's go then" she huffs.

Mum drops me off at the cafe. I'm standing at the till when the bell from the door rings. My head tilts up, my first customer comes through the door and of course it has to be Marcus.

I flatten down my apron and fix my hair as he walks over with a smirk on his face. "Fancy seeing you here" he says. "I work here Marcus, what would you like to order" I laugh.

"Umm let's see have you got a menu around here" he asks. "Look above my head dumb-ass" I scoff suggesting to the board above me with the whole menu being advertised. "Excuse me miss your supposed to treat me with full respect and kindness" Marcus starts. "Marcus I don't have time for this order or leave, your creating a queue" I scold.

"Fine. I'll have a medium black coffee, no milk and a blueberry muffin please" he orders. Turning from the counter I grab a medium cup and pour in the coffee, then walk over to the muffins and put a blueberry one in a little brown bag.

Making my way back to the till I touch the screen in front of me typing in his order. The total coming to £3.80. "Three pounds and eighty pence please, and we don't do card" I give him a cheeky smile. "Here, keep the change" he says handing me a five pound note. Grabbing the coffee and muffin he walks out of the cafe giving me a wink.

Joe turns to me. "Yeah that was pretty great for your first customer. Keep it up, also I felt all that flirty tension" he says. "What no, Marcus is just a friend that is hard work sometimes" I admit. "Sure Amelie, sure" Joe replies as I roll my eyes. Hearing the bell go off again I turn to see Max coming through the door into the cafe.