sixteen

In the morning when the girls had all gone home my mum brought me in some doughnuts with sprinkles on top.

"Here you go sweetie, they help the headache" she says. "What?" I ask confused on how she knows my head is throbbing. "Amelie I was a teenager once too you know" she laughs. "Are you mad?" I ask. "Nah, but you can tell me next time" she replies sitting beside me on my bed.

"We played spin the bottle and on my go the bottle landed on Matt" I tell her. "Oh how'd that go" she asks now intrigued. "Yeah it was good, he bought me this necklace for my birthday too" I say showing her the necklace I'm wearing. "Aw that's awful kind of him. What did Alex get you?" she asks.

"Oh um, we broke up" I tell her as she acts shocked. "Mum please, you knew it was coming. We just didn't get on that well and I thought we would be better as just friends" I laugh at her fake response. "Yeah I could tell" she giggles hugging me tightly on my bed.

For the rest of the day I stayed with my mum in my bed, binge watching the marvel movies. She claims Chris Evans is the hottest but in my opinion Tom Hiddleston and Sebastian Stan take the lead.

The next day

Walking into my English class is the least favourite part of my days. Max and I make our way to our seats as we both grunt.

"Settle down everyone. I have an announcement. We are going to be submitting to the National Junior Pulitzer Essay Contest. It will be great for your college applications. It can be on any topic you wish as long as it is appropriate and interesting" Mr Lounger says to the class as Maxine and I roll our eyes.

.....

During lunch I sit with the boys at our area. They talk about rugby and football whilst I play games on my phone. Abby comes and sits beside me. "Hey. Have you seen Norah or like Max. Everyone seems to be disappearing" she fake laughs. "Nope I've just been here with these ones but no Norah or Max" I reply. "Probably with their other halves" she jokes. "Probably" I laugh, randomly receiving a text reading,
'Pretty cold here. Glad I put on my leather jacket'

"No way. He's here" I shout making my friends look up to me. "Who?" Matt asks. "My dad" they all look surprised. I look up the corridor and see my dad coming through the main doors wearing a black helmet and a leather jacket.

"Dad! Oh my word! What are you doing here?" I ask running up to him giving him a hug even though I despise him for making my mum go back to drinking. "Wow! Look at my baby all grown up into a beautiful girl" he says as I laugh.

"Do you want a ride home? I brought the bike" he says smiling at me. "Oh how I missed the bike" I say really wanting to go. "Oh I know you did" he laughs. "Okay let's do it, let's go" I say walking out of school with him. Getting on the bike, he drives us home.

Parking outside my house I see Marcus skating towards us. "Hey Marcus. This is my dad" I say getting a serious look from him. "Nice to meet you" he says shaking my dads hand. Marcus looks to me and smiles before continuing to skate down the road.

"Dad!" Joshua shuts running out of the house. "Hey son!" dad says hugging Joshua. "Man, I missed you guys so much" dad says to us both. "Then why did you leave? Huh?" I say getting serious. "I had no choice baby I-" he starts to say. "No dad you don't get to use excuses this time, you made mum go back to her drinking problem. I had to watch her drown herself in alcohol, watch her non stop cry just because she was thinking all about you. You did this to her and for that I will never forgive you" I say walking into my house to my room not waiting for his response.

Lying in my bed for the rest of the night I hear my door open and my mum comes in. She lays beside me on my bed. "Can't sleep?" I ask her. "Mhmm" she says. "Mum please don't do anything stupid" I say to her.

"What is that supposed to mean?" she laughs. "Mum, you and I both know that you're in bed with me so you don't go to dad" I sigh. "We don't know that" she fake laughs. "You don't have anything to worry about with your dad and me. I promise" she says whilst rubbing my cheek and kisses my forehead. I slowly fall asleep with my mum holding me in her arms.

We wake up and go downstairs. My dad has made pancakes for breakfast in shapes of love hearts. I don't even look at him after I lashed out at him yesterday.

"Look baby. I'm sorry for leaving, but I'm here to stay now. I had things to take care of in Mystic Falls but it's all good now. We can be a family again, isn't that what you want?" he asks me whilst I eat my pancakes. "I do want that dad but it's mum I'm worried about. You can't just come back and then do your disappearing act again" I sigh as he rubs my back. "I won't baby, I promise" he replies.

Marcus' POV

I sit on the sofa beside Maxine and Sophie. "Oh no! There's been a terrible mistake! We don't want you here" Max says to me but I ignore her. "Hi Sophie" I say. "Hey Marcus" she replies.

"We have the living room" Max says annoyed. "It's a common area" I sigh in response. "Is everything okay, Marcus?" Sophie asks me. "It's just, uh-, this girl. Um...Can't stop thinking about her. I don't think she wants anything to do with me though" I sigh. "Wait there's a girl? Who?" Maxine asks. "Don't flip out okay. But, Amelie" I say waiting for Maxine's reaction.

"Omg! No way! Really?" she exclaims excitedly. Not the reaction I was expecting. "Yeah but I don't think she feels the same way" I reply. "Well did you ask her?" Sophie asks me. "No but-" I try to speak before Max cuts me off. "Just be honest okay, you won't know unless you tell her how you feel. Look I was a whole dumb-ass with Sophie, and Amelie was the one that told me to be honest and now look at us, we're great!" Maxine says. "Yeah I guess your right" I reply. "Marcus I'm always right" she says rolling her eyes.

Amelie's POV

During the day my dad brought me to the skating park and after we went to McDonalds for food. When we arrived home my mum was drinking a little bit of wine at the kitchen counter.

"You guys have a good time?" she asks looking serious. "Yeah it was amazing actually. Dad took me to the skating park and taught me this really cool trick, I was surprised I learnt how to do it" I tell her.

"Hmm sounds fun. Well you know I had a surprising night too. Where do I start? Oh right yes. Laundry. Just doing the daily load when I see a face appear at my daughters window. You know a feeling of betrayal, worry, anger. No not anger, rage. Oh, I have questions, so many questions. What, and I can not express this enough, the hell is Marcus Baker doing climbing through your window?" she shouts as my dad laughs.

"We're just friends. It's not a big deal. He gets me and I get him. That's it" I reply back. "Oh is that so? Like I believe that" she fake laughs. I walk off leaving the kitchen and go to my room, locking the door. I jump into my bed and eventually fall asleep.

.....

Today is the day we read out our speeches in English. I wrote mine about Mental Health. How everyone can be hurting behind a smile. It's a strong topic for me personally and others I'm sure too. I wrote about Mental Health to express how hurt and broken people can be no matter how they portray themselves to their friends or family.

I read my speech out and the whole class stands up and claps. Max being my number one supporter encouraging everyone to cheer for me.

"And the winner is....Amelie Salvatore!" Mr Lounger shouts to the class as everyone claps for me. "I knew you would win!" Max shouts and hugs me.