seventeen

When I get home from school I go straight up to my room. There's a knock at my door. "Amelie. Can I come in?" my mums asks with a soft voice. Before I can reply she comes in to my room and sits down at the end of my bed.

"Look, I'm sorry for shouting at you. When I seen Marcus at your window so many bad thoughts rushed in to my head, I was just worried. I just want to make sure you're being safe if your having-" she starts to say. "Mum! Okay I get it. Yes I understand why you were angry, but me and Marcus are just friends" I tell her.

"Your dad see's the way you look at each other, 'friends don't look at friends that way' were his exact words to me. We both see the sexual tension between you both. I thought we were close enough that you could tell me anything, even about boy stuff" she replies. I sigh not knowing what to think about the situation between me and Marcus.

"Your only a teenager kid. I'm just trying to keep you safe and protect you. Okay?" she asks hugging me. "Yeah mum, I know" I reply kindly. She leaves my room as I start to play my piano to clear my head.

From a distance I can hear my dad playing a lullaby, the lullaby he played for me when I was little. He enters my room smiling at me. "It always calmed you down when you were scared of the storms" he chuckles referring to the lullaby. "It was my favourite" I laugh as he sits on my bed.

"I won an essay competition for school" I tell him smiling. "That's great baby! What did you write it on?" he asks. "Mental Health. It means a lot to me and I thought other people could connect with my story" I reply. He looks at me with worried eyes.

"Baby, are you okay?" he asks rubbing my cheek. "There's just been so much happening from Mum with her drinking problem to you leaving us and the whole divorce, honestly I could go on" I fake laugh. "I'm so sorry Amelie" he says hugging me tightly.

"Your mum and I talked about it all and we are going to try again, for you and Joshua. We can be a family again" he says looking down to me with a smile. "You promise you won't leave again?" I ask him. "I promise" he replies kissing my forehead. "I love you" I tell him. "I love you more" he replies.

We start to play my piano together laughing as we both mess up the notes. "Oh that's a lovely ring. Where did you get it?" he asks me, looking closer at the ring on my finger. "Oh, um-, Marcus" I reply shyly. He smiles at me just before my phone dings with a text from Abby, 'BLUE FARM. NOW. SOS'.

I make my way to the cafe as quick as possible. When I walk in Max is already sitting down at a table. "Hey" I say. "Hey" she replies with a smile as I sit down. Norah comes in through the door and sits down. "Hey um, do you guys know why we're here?" she asks us. "No clue" we reply.

All of a sudden Abby comes in with tears down her face. "Hi" her voice breaks. "Hey" we say gently as she sits down. "My parents are getting a divorce" Abby tells us. "What?" Max says sympathetically. "I'm so sorry" I tell Abby.

"Yeah. My dad, uh, just moved out yesterday" she tells us. "Oh no" Norah adds. "I'm so sorry Abby. I know first hand how much that sucks" I reply. "Are you okay?" Norah asks her. "No, I'm , uh. I'm not okay. You guys completely abandoned me just for your stupid boyfriends, Amelie was the only one that was there for me half the time" she says starting to cry again. "I've had the worst week of my life and I needed you guys. But you were all too busy. And this, AMAN? AMAN is dead. So, yeah" Abby says sniffing.

"Hey, I'm sorry. But Amelie has a lot of family stuff going on too, your not the only one having a hard time. It's not always about you" Max says to her. Abby stands up and slaps Max across the face. Abby realises what she just done and slaps herself. Norah slaps herself and I do too. We all burst out laughing. "Sorry" Abby says to Max chuckling. "It's fine" Max laughs hugging her.

"Guys, is it a bad time to tell you that I slept with Sophie?" Maxine giggles. "Um, what?!" I shout as Abby and Norah look shocked. "Yeah, we actually did it!" Max replies as we all start laughing again.

.....

When I get home mum and dad are dancing in the kitchen with loud music blasting throughout the house. Walking into the kitchen I see seven bottles of finished alcohol sitting on the counter. "Mum? Dad? What's going on?" I ask them both as they turn to face me. They're both drunk.

"You let mum drink all this knowing she has a problem?!" I shout at him. "No need to shout, we're just having fun" he says laughing. "This isn't funny, this could make her go over the edge" I say seriously walking over to my mum. "Mum are you okay?" I ask worried about her. "Oh, look who it is! The girl who created all my problems!" she fake laughs. I know she's had way too much to drink, this is could end really badly.

"Mum, you don't mean that. Okay? Let's just get you to bed, yeah?" I say putting my arm around her shoulder about to bring her up the stairs. She pushes me off her making me land on the ground. "Get your hands off me" she spits at me. "Mum stop, this isn't you" I reply standing up walking back to her before she slaps me right across my face, making my cheek sting.

She hit me? I try to hold back my tears but I can't. My dad starts to walk over to me but I push him away and run up to my room slamming the door behind me. I lock my door and slide down it, bursting into tears. I knew she could say mean things whilst drunk but I never thought she would physically hit me.

I turn my lights off and grab the lighter from my desk to watch the flame appear. Something about watching the light flicker calms me down, it's a way that helps me cope. Staring at it for a while I suddenly hear a noise.

"Amelie?" I hear Marcus' voice. "Holy crap!" I say standing up nearly dropping my lighter. "How long have you been standing there?" I say panting. "What are you doing?" he asks referring to the lighter in my hand. "W..Why..Why are you here, Marcus?" I shout at him. "I, uh.." he starts to speak. "My mum was right. This...This is not real. This...It's not healthy it's toxic, from our fake friendship to the sexual tension between us and the secrets. Yeah, it sucks" I say.

"Amelie.." he tries to speak. "No, I'm serious. Stop climbing through my window, acting like you care about me. Maxine was right, I shouldn't have fell into your trap. Well guess what, I'm not anymore. Just leave" I say at him from all my built up emotions. "But...I...I think I love you" he tells me. "No, you don't!" I fake laugh. He just stands speechless and looks at me.

"You know what your problem is? You thought I'd fall right under your finger tips well let me tell you, I'm not gonna let you mess me up just like everyone else has, now get out!" I shout making him take a step back. "I said, get out!" I say sternly watching him finally turn and climb out of my window with tears in his eyes. "And don't come back!" I shout closing my window, wiping my tears away.

I walk over to my bed and sit down. The built up anger I have inside my body is eating away at me. All I feel is hatred and rage. My own mother hit me, my brother hates me, my father caused this whole thing and now I've just lost Marcus.

After sitting on my bed for a while just staring at my wall I realise what I said to Marcus was really hurtful and that I crossed the line. He's always been there for me when I needed a shoulder to cry on. The only person who truly cared about me was him and now I've pushed him away. In the back of my mind I always thought he was just using me, maybe that's not true. He makes me feel safe and happy. When I'm around him I can be who I want to be. I have so many feelings all bottled up I can't tell what's real anymore. All I know is I have to apologise for the things I said to him.

I hear an engine rev and rush to my window. Marcus is on his motorbike and speeds down the road. A feeling of worry rushes through my body as his shadow fades away in to the distance.

Authors Note

Hiii, so basically I hate this chapter and it took me so long to write it idk why. But, I am so excited for these next few chapters to come and I hope you guys will love them!!

Also I just wanted to say thank you so much for reading this book & voting, it means so much to me.

Anyways hope you enjoy!😚🤌🏼