Chapter One

Ally's P.O.V
2040, One week After the Inauguration

Last night was my first in this bed. Many have slept in this room before- but rarely has anybody done so without a person by their side. Even David had Darryl.

I am the first president in over a hundred years without a spouse. While the world has greatly changed, I've still gotten the occasional comment. And I don't think it'll ever end. I'm thirty five years old and a woman- at least Kyle didn't have to deal with the slight hints of sexism that still linger at the back of some older minds.

Regardless of my feelings- it is my duty to serve each American. I fully intend on doing so, even though the Illuminati decides to pull strings every now and then. With them, while I have immense power- it isn't unlimited.

At our tri-monthly summits, I can present actions for the world leaders to vote on. If they bring something forward, I have the power to shoot it down immediately- but I'm more reasonable than my predecessor.

Lauren let the power go to her head. I watched as she slowly turned into somebody the public wouldn't recognize, exerting everything she could at every possible opportunity. Everybody does it differently- but I figured since I'm in this for life, I should use it for good.

At the first tri-monthly meeting I was the head for, the president of China proposed a trade deal he said would benefit all of us. When I looked at it, it became clear that it was only for his own interests. I should've known better- tensions between our countries are higher now than they have been in the past thirty years. The Illuminati doesn't control wars- nor do they try to stop them unless absolutely necessary to prevent human extinction. Most believe a war every now and then is a healthy part of human nature, though we haven't had one since the 2010's.

The only notable thing we've used our militaries for since then was distributing vaccines during the pandemic- which we caused. As cruel as it seems, the population control worked, and now we're left with a greener planet.

As a result the Green Party has grown. The democrats that have switched over are more middle of the road, while the progressives like me believe everything should revolve around our planet. For now- it's the only one we've got. Earth does have a potential "twin"- two hundred million miles away.

Until such time as we're able to safely travel there, I will do my best here. Though it's only been a week- I get why president's age so much. You could be doing one thing, and then ten more get piled on top of it that you have to remember. Having staff helps- but not enough. When you fail at something, no matter how small- you feel like you're not worthy of the office.

I suppose I have it easier than some of my predecessors. I didn't get this office because of an assassination, or because my predecessor's fucking insane- like Williams is. I connected with my voters on a human level, and they ended up electing me with a reasonable yet large lead.

America needed a normal election- with how crazy the past few were. I'm happy that I was the one to deliver it, though if I had to concede to my opponent- I gladly would have done so.

She is now my Vice President, and a damn good one.

I swing my feet over the edge of the bed, groaning like a bear that's been locked up for years. I don't want to even imagine how I look right now- but the mirror in my line of vision forces me to. A piece of my hair is sticking straight up, and my eye bags look almost as bad as Kyle's when he's gotten a good night's sleep.