Chapter Eleven

I guess it's not the worst thing in the world. We were going to tell the public eventually- in a few months before I started to show. The issue isn't what he said. It's that he told them before i was ready, and that I hadn't told him he could. Before Meg even had a chance to react, the editors had a breaking news banner across all tv screens in America and most of the world.

President of the United States pregnant

You could tell they typed it out quickly, as soon as he said it. Now, a few minutes after the interview's ended- I'm fuming. I swear, smoke would be coming out of my ears if that was possible. Lilith watches as I pace across the empty lounge room, biting her tongue. Frustrated, I stop and cross my arms.

"What?"

"Nothing...I was just thinking....maybe getting upset isn't...the best idea. You were planning on telling them anyways and...getting upset is...the leading cause of miscarriages nowadays." She mumbles.

Miscarriages aren't very common either. I don't know the statistic off the top of my head, but she's right. Being upset is and for everybody- mother and baby. I did say I was going to keep this thing, and I meant it. Sulking, I plop down on the beanbag chair. I'm sure I've gotten a few calls by now- one from Morgan, a few from news outlets, an endless stream from the press team.

I don't have the energy to deal with them. If I put it off long enough, my assistants will call them back and schedule them for a few days from now. I close my eyes. In my mind's vision, I get an image of myself standing in front of a crowd- nine months pregnant. A bullet pierces my stomach. I internally scream.

And I stay like this for almost half an hour; eyes closed, chest rising ever so slightly so Lilith doesn't have a heart attack, tapping my finger. When my heart rate's slowed down and I'm not sweating out of anger, I open them. Three agents are now standing over me.

If I weren't so used to them, I'd die right there. But instead, I push myself up, walking across the room to the large window. Moonlight shines through it. When I press my fingers to the glass, I'm reminded of how my father used to take me out when I was little. And I do remember him being more attentive than my mother at one point, but that was so, so long ago.

He's only made an effort to change in the past ten years. In fact, just thinking of him now angers me again. So I pull my phone out of my pocket, scrolling through the missed calls to a specific number- one that'll connect them both. This time, it only rings twice before they've both answered.

Instead of talking over each other, my mother lets him speak. Good- I don't know if I could handle their fighting again. "You have approximately two seconds to explain yourself." I say. "Before I'm done with both of you."

"Ally, I didn't mean to- I'm sorry." He mutters.

"That's not fucking good enough!" I yell. "Do you have any idea what you've done?! I was going to tell them once my presidency had enough time to prove itself as worthy! Now it'll be the exact opposite you fuckface-"

"Oh come on, that's not fair." My mother interrupts. "He was just trying to tell people not to do drugs and rambled too much. Surely you can understand-"

"You're not off the hook either." I roll my eyes. "You antagonized him."

I continue pacing, my head pulled in a thousand different directions. How could they do this to me? Am I overreacting? No. It doesn't matter if that thing back there was an accident.

If life worked like that, we'd all be able to forget he used to be a meth addict. I want something to break or scream at the top of my lungs into, but knowing Lilith- she'd have me restrained for my own safety. And I can't blame her. I'm not exactly safe to be around right now.