Chapter Two

Events like these rock a nation to its core. Sure- the reaction to their deaths may not be as bad as when there's an assassination, but it's still notable. President's don't die very often- and there's never been an accident like this.

Now, members of my staff are gathered around a tv, watching the morning news. It was all over the place yesterday, but now the news stations are putting out the full story- from their perspective. I join them, standing at the back of the crowd.

I'm tall enough that I can see almost six inches over all of their heads. Of course Meg Haines is delivery this one. She has a habit of sticking herself to stories that'll bring in money, and while she's mellowed out over the years- she's still a reporter. By nature, all of them are brutal.

I'm surprised they even let her do it- with her connection to Taylor. I want to call her or Mina, I just don't know what good it'd do. Some people deal with pain better by pretending it doesn't exist.

"...Former President's Lauren and Kyle Wells- and their daughter Mina, began traveling overseas to visit Ordaia's capital around 10:45 am. Like always, they had some of the best medical officials and pilots with them. At 12:35 pm, the engine began failing. If there were a problem with any other component, security officials would be able to operate the helicopter remotely- but when an engine gives out midair there is nothing that can be done. Authorities are currently recovering the black box. Upon arrival to the scene at 12:59 pm, Both former president's and one doctor were pronounced dead. Mina Wells miraculously lived with a shattered leg and piece of glass wedged in her right eye. Both pilots have passed and the...other doctor is in critical condition."
Meg chokes up.

She's not one to get emotional. The sight of a tear rolling down her face makes me question my own sanity for a second- as I haven't shed one yet. Then I remember I must be strong for this country, and continue on with today's planned trip. Despite concerns, we'll be boarding in just minutes.

I'm not worried. Lilith is overseeing the check herself, going over every part as we speak. I trust her more than anybody else in this world, no matter how stupid of me that may be. I slowly walk away from the crowd and into a nearby bathroom.

Just before I lock myself in, an agent whispers my location and activities into a work phone. This is common practice- so that those on duty cam immediately rush to my side.

Still, I'll never get used to somebody announcing to fifty other people when I need to use the restroom. I take my sweet time too. When I'm done, I quickly rinse my hands. When I exit, two more agents are standing by- waiting to escort me to the south lawn.

Any luggage I'll need has already been packed. That's another benefit of being the president- you don't have to plan any details of your travels.

I get a lot of concerned looks on the way to the south lawn. There, we'll board the same model of helicopter that killed Lauren and Kyle.

"Have a safe trip, Madam president." One intern utters. I smile and nod, preoccupied with getting there on time. I picture everybody else waiting on me- and my suspicions are confirmed when I get there.

In a room with double doors that leads out to the south lawn- Ethan and Tao stand.

"I'm so sorry-" I start. "I lost track of time."

"Don't worry about it-" Tao shakes his head. "The president is never late."

"The president was just late." I frown. "Shall we?"

I gesture to the double doors. An agent pushes them open for us, and I hear the signature snap of a few different cameras. I make an effort not to smile- something that Reggie taught me to do in times of national distress. Instead, I let my resting bitch face take over.