Epilouge

Five Months Later

It's funny how fast somebody's life can change. Take mine for example: At fifteen I was just the average teenager, not thinking about anybody but myself. It was a miracle for me to get out of bed in the morning. Then I attended my first protest, and the rest is history.

If I hadn't attended that protest nearly twenty two years ago, I would never have met Ethan. And if I'd never met him, our daughter wouldn't have been born.

I wouldn't have ever ran for Congress, and I certainly wouldn't have become the head of the Illuminati or decided to run for a second term.

If I hadn't stayed up for three days straight this week, I wouldn't have been able to have this evening with him and him only. Since Olivia was born we haven't had a second alone. If we weren't working, one or both of us were taking care of her- and we don't mind it a bit, but we've both gotten to the point of needing a break.

"You ready?" He asks, standing in the doorframe- sweating an unusual amount even for him.

"Almost-" I shrug, shoving an earring through the holes that have almost closed up. "Now I am."

He offers his hand. Like always, we take the elevator- and we have to deal with being harassed by reporters on the way out. But tonight, instead of stopping, we continue ahead to the motorcade.

This night took some planning on Lilith's part too, but she ended up clearing out a nearby restaurant so we could have some alone time. I guess I'm not too upset about it. As we ride through downtown D.C, I'm content, finally happy with how my life's turned out.

I have this amazing job, an even better relationship and daughter...and I've changed the world.

Fifteen year old me would be proud.

When we arrive at the restaurant, our doors are opened for us and we're quickly ushered inside. With people following us everywhere- it's hard to stay out of the public eye.

The night itself is amazing. I'm able to laugh and enjoy myself without thinking about our daughter or my presidential to-do list for tomorrow, but Ethan
acts weird the entire time. Near the end, I finally gets the guts to ask why- and then I understand.

  "Okay- what the hell's wrong? Our daughter is at home with the best nanny anybody could asks for." I take my first sip of wine in almost two years.

  "No it's not that it's just...."

  "Ethan."

  "Will you marry me?"