H.O.P.E.

Hobi turned on the light in the practice room. He likes his quiet moment to himself. At the start of the day, he likes warming up and doing his stretches before the rest of the members and choreographers come in to start practice. What he looks forward to the most is the sense of peace and mindfulness. It is the time of day he cherishes to collect his thoughts and put things into perspective.

As Hobi pressed the button to lower the automated curtain to cover up the mirrors, he nodded to himself and smile. It's going to be a good day, he told himself. Indeed, they as a group have been doing quite alright and have been enjoying a good stretch of good days. 

The team had gotten busier, but that is because they have moved past meeting their goals of making it to the top. As a group, they are going past any marked achievements in their genre and now making a path on their own. Everything was fine, and although the road was tough and ridden with tribulation, individually they were all able to traverse without much injury to themselves and have quickly dusted off.

While going around the room in circles to warm up his legs and ankles, Hobi thought about his own place and role in all of it. To the world, he was J-Hope, the infectious ray of sunlight on stage, his mere presence comforts people that everything was going to be okay. To his friends, he was Hobi, the dependable brother and friend who is generous as much as he is affectionate.

In and of itself at the very core of all of that is Jung Hoseok. When the spotlights move away and the thousands of light sticks disappear, there is still Hoseok, a brother and a son to two hardworking parents who have taught him the value of hard work and keeping grounded.

Because of this (and it's no secret) that it was his concern from the beginning that they weren't going to go far. They debuted at a disadvantage and their agency was too small to fight in the big ocean. He was brought up to be practical and realistic. He knew very well that even if hard work was put in, there were injustices as facts of life.

There is no one who could ever say that Jung Hoseok does not deserve where he is today. He fought and clawed so much along the way that there were times he was ready to give up the idea of becoming an idol. He was lucky he had his mother who believed in his dream as much as he did. There are also his friends and brothers in Bangtan who hugged him close when he was faltering.

It was their faith in him that helped him carry on. They believed in him and they recognized not just his hope but their hope in him during those times he could not see it for himself. When he realized this, Hobi realized what he was meant to do, and becoming an idol was caped by a higher purpose. So that he wouldn't forget the mission he was granted, he appended it to his name and became J-Hope.

At present, Hobi felt the fears of the younger Hoseok less and less. He didn't really ask for much but continue dreaming and doing what he does. In a way, fear of not knowing what else is in store for them is intimidating in its own way. When they started doing more shows internationally, they acutely felt that the stress of keeping things going until the meter runs out on their popularity. They have had numerous conversations about when it was a good time to get off and stop. They were sure the end was getting near, so they gave it a harder push to leave with a bang.

The unexpected plot twist was that the meter is still running. After a while, the boys realized they had to adjust to a new normal where nothing is certain. There were no more goals to pursue when you are living your dream. At this point, it's about carving notches and bagging trophies. 

Hobi liked reflecting on this as he did his stretches and warm-up.

The first to enter the practice room, of all people, was Jimin who was always late. He strolled into the room with a graphic novel in one hand and the other on the strap of his satchel. Hobi watched him with interest as he put his bag down and slid behind it completely absorbed.

"Where's everyone?" Hobi asked approaching and bending to look at the cover of Jimin's book.

Jimin briefly looked up and ran his fingers through his hair. "They're on their way up." He replied.

"What are you reading now?"

"It's called H.O.P.E. and I can't put it down. It's very nice."

"H.O.P.E. I like it already! What's it about?" Hobi smiled.

"It's about this couple who made this wish together, but only one was granted. So,I'm at a part of the story now about their life together. It's very cute, I can't put it down." Jimin's eyes widened slightly as he talked about the book.

Knowing Jimin was engrossed and intends to get back into his reading, Hobi prodded with a smile. "What was the wish that was granted?"

"Um..it's the life they're living."

"What was the other wish?"

"I can lend it to you afterward," Jimin replied getting visibly annoyed. They had only a few more minutes left before the rest arrived, and Hobi laughed. It can be fun to tease Jimin from time to time. Hobi finished his warmup and left Jimin to his book. He had a small smile on his face so it must be a nice one.