✦ Color Me Yours

"Hey!" 

She looked up and spotted Neil walking towards her, she smiled and waved answering with a, "hey!"

"Looking pretty in white, Cadbury!"

She grinned at the endearment. It was just three days back that he had come home for Holi. Day after he would be gone to complete his final semester of MBA. 

One day at a time nothing changes, but when you look back you realize you've come so far. Then there are certain things that don't change, like her love for her bestfriend. 

"You don't look bad yourself, Aloo!"

His face turned bitter immediately. "Please don't call me that!" He pleaded, sitting beside her. "By the way, are we the only two excited to play Holi?"

"Oh no. The others are on the way. And, I cannot not call you, Aloo!"

"Arey! I have lost weight now."

She turned sideways. "That you have, but you will always be Aloo for me!" Saying that she pulled his cheeks.

"Uh, if you don't deter then I am going to..." he thought of a good comeback. "I will call you Pumpkin!"

"Eww, I don't even like pumpkin!"

He chuckled looking around. "This place hasn't changed much," he remarked.

"Yep." She agreed, thoughtfully moving her gaze around their apartment complex. 

"Are you in touch with Ishaan, Tanvi and Zoya?" He asked.

"Just with Tanvi, that too very limited. We just wish each other on birthdays via a text message." A sad smile drew up on her face.

He nodded.

"Are you?" She asked.

"Nope." He answered. It was surprising how it could be very hard for childhood friendships to survive all the way to adulthood and at the same time with some people, you just couldn't let go easily. Like her!

"I am glad you kept in touch all these years!" She said softly. He was the only person she could actually count on. From listening to her endless rants on hostel food to surprising her by ordering pizzas for her, he had always been there. Even though they barely met over the past five to six years, it was like they never parted ways.

"Miss Pumpkin, you know way too many of my secrets to let you go!" He remarked, immediately bringing a smile to her face.

"Drop the pumpkin, it doesn't suit my personality, Aloo."

"Drop Aloo, call me Neil!" He spoke, his gaze boring into her eyes.

"Swati!" 

She looked up to find one of her newer friends, Namita waving at her.

"Come on, they are here. Let me introduce you to them."

"She looks sexy!" He remarked as they walked over.

"Off limits!" Swati muttered, rolling her eyes. He said that for any photo with her friend she sent. She somewhere felt he did that to irk her. 

"Nami, meet Neil. Niel, Namita." She introduced and then looked at the two guys walking towards them.

"Guys!" she yelled to get their attention.

"Neil, meet Tanmay and Harsh. Guys that's Neil!"

"Finally, man! We've heard a lot about you from Swati!" Tanmay remarked while Niel simply offered a smile glancing at Swati.

"Okay, then let's head to the park where all the action is happening?" Harsh said excitedly.

"It's awkward!" Neil commented softly to Swati, as they all started moving towards the park.

"Neil, please! It's just a day. Maybe you'll like them."

"You know the kind of introvert I am! I think I should go home."

"Just a day, Aloo!" She whisper-yelled, grabbing his arm and moving towars the entrance of the park, from where they could hear, 'Rang Barse' blare from the speakers."

Neil sighed. Just for you!

The excited trio had already disappeared into the green park which looked a lot more colorful today with all the gulaal on the grass and children armed with their pichkaris and water guns.

"Your remember, we used to have this competition of who'll color everyone of us first."

"The one, you always won!"

She grinned, letting her hand reach out to the table where a plate of gulaal was placed. "I win today too!" She shouted moving her right hand to color him. But he ducked in time.

"Not this time!" He chuckled.

She charged towards him and he sprinted out of the park. Huffing she ran after him.

"Cadbury, you don't run as fast as you used to in school." He yelled as he effortlessly ran backwards.

"Shut up, Aloo. Let's head back to the park. Anyways, I am going to color you, now or later."

He moved towards her with a smirk, his hand disappearing into his pocket. She didn't know he had carried the color in his pocket. He was glad that he had opened the packet just before coming, to color his sweet grandmother.

Swati's jaw dropped as his plams rubbed on her clean cheeks and he colored her. "I win, for once!"

She smiled, glad that the color concealed her blush. Otherwise he'd know what his sudden intimate touch had caused.

She stepped closer and colored his cheeks, "Happy Holi, Neil!"

"By the way, why blue!" She muttered realizing he had colored her in blue.

"It suits you, besides, my name means blue!" he remarked pressing his fingertip on her nose, leaving the blue color there as well. "So, you have Neil all over you!"

Swati blushed. Maybe this was where she should tell him that she loved him.

"Just so you know, I know you're blushing."

She looked at him wide-eyed. "You knew all this while?"

"Knew what?" He asked baffled.

"That I love you?" 

A smooth grin graced his face."Up until now I didn't know for sure, but now I do!" He remarked with twinkling eyes.

Swati realized her folly and her eyelashes fluttered in embarrassment.

He gently wrapped her arms around her. "It's okay Cadbury. You've always been easy to manipulate!"

"I hate you, Aloo!" She punched his tummy.

"Hey, careful! Besides I always thought this moment will be followed by a kiss. Guess we'll have to wait."

She chuckled, "Happy Holi Neil!"

This feels so short. Had to stick to 1000 word limit! ☹

Hope you all enjoyed this little piece!

-Anami!♡