✦ The Mystery Behind The Nightmare

Prompt: A short story about a character who is in therapy because whenever they close their eyes at night, they see someone's tragic death. Some say it is just in their twisted imagination their new therapist thinks it is something much, much different and dangerous.

Word count: Approximately 3800.

For: #psychologicalnovelcontest2020

The Mystery Behind The Nightmare

He saw it yet again, the same nightmare. It was vivid as always and still bizarre to him. As usual, he was positioned behind a door looking at the scene. He didn't see the person who caused the agony. He could neither recognize the woman in agonizing pain. There was blood, lots of it.

He washed his face staring at himself in the mirror. He had seen it so many times now, that even when he closed his eyes the scene would run before his eyes. Ready for the day, he locked his apartment walking down the passageway. His footsteps halted as his mind caught the attention of something. The usually closed door of the apartment 402 was wide open. He could hear a few men talking and the sound of furniture being moved. He peeked inside, " Anyone there?" He called.

"Hi!" A woman in her late thirties walked up the door, greeting him with her twinkling brown eyes.

"Hi" He smiled noticing that she had beautiful eyes, very lively as though they had never known pain or fear. " I am Jai, Flat 401." He pointed across the lobby.

"Oh! Nice to meet you," She smiled brightly forwarding her hand "Jennifer, your new neighbor."

"Nice, let me know if you'd need any help." He offered, shaking her hand.

"Headed to work?" She asked giving him a glance over.

"Yes," he answered realizing he should leave quickly.

"Let me guess, computer engineer?"

"Accurate!" He exclaimed astonished. "That's some deducing! How did you know?"

"Just a well made guess, being a psychologist helps you get them right most times." She grinned.

His smile wavered slightly before he quickly wished her a great day ahead and marched to the lift. She was a psychologist. He dabbed the button restlessly.

* * *

Jai took a deep breath and pressed the switch to ring the bell. There was no sound. He inhaled deeply knocking on the door using his knuckles.

"Hey!" Jennifer greeted smiling.

"Hi! Umm, you said you were a psychologist, can I talk to you? I know this may sound weird and ..." He groped for better words.