Chain Me To Your Heart's Desire (Part 1)

Summary- Five times Merlin and Arthur unknowingly met their soulmate and one time they knew.

Part 1

Merlin wasn't particularly ashamed of the fact that he still hadn't managed to find his soulmate at twenty-eight, he just didn't like people bringing it up. But in their defence, it was rare for someone to have met them by their mid-twenties, and Merlin was turning twenty-nine the month after next.

Hey, you awake? Merlin scrawled on his arm, his messy doctor's handwriting even worse than usual due to the late hour.

Just about barely. Why are you? A reply came a few moments later, a precise handwriting spreading right under his own words.

Double shift at the hospital. Seriously, Will owes me big time for this. Merlin wrote back, blinking furiously to keep his sleep at bay. He had exchanged shifts with a coworker of his, because Will had said that he had a date. Merlin suspected he just wanted to go to bed, but he could exactly blame him.

Ouch. But I can relate. Though I dare say compiling and comparing reports from various departments for a board meeting at 2:30 in the morning is a lot more difficult than whatever that is your doing right now. Sitting around probably. Merlin raised an eyebrow at his arm. His soulmate was an utter prat; something that Merlin had already deduced within months of being sixteen. He has had a lot of practice dealing with him.

My profession is much more noble than yours. You work people and build money off their backs, while I, on the other hand, save their lives. Merlin replied, trying to sound mock haughty.

I see you did not deny that you are sitting around right now. Damn you.

Merlin huffed. What his soulmate said was true. He was sitting around. But in his defence, not many people came to the hospital at ass o'clock in the night unless it was an emergency. Which was not, at this moment.

Clotpole

Not a word

A small snore to his right jerked Merlin up. His fellow doctor on the shift, Percival, had fallen asleep and was snoring. Lucky him. Merlin glanced at the clock. Nearly 3. His shift was going to finish in another two hours. He didn't think he would be able to stay awake that long.

Hey, you there? His soulmate wrote.

Sorry, going to grab a coffee. Talk to you later.

Without waiting for a reply, Merlin turned to Percival and poked his well-defined biceps. Pity he had to keep them covered up. Apparently, it could be distracting to the patients. Merlin couldn't figure out for the life of him how it could be a bad thing. Who wouldn't like a big well-muscled guy as the first thing they saw when gaining consciousness.

Percival did not even stir. Hmm... Maybe those muscles could be a liability after all. Merlin poked him again, a little harder this time.

People say third time's the charm. Apparently there was some truth to that, as Percival shook his head and woke. Though Merlin suspected it was due more to the fact he shook his shoulder rather than poked him.

"Merlin?" Percival asked groggily. "Is everything all right?" Then he suddenly shot up. "Emergency? Who's the patient? What happened?"

Merlin chuckled, and shook his head. "No, nothing's wrong. I was just about to get some coffee. Do you want some?"

Percival blinked blearily at him, and then the words sunk in. "Oh! Yeah, black with two sugars and no cream. Where are you getting it from?"

"Not the break room, definitely. The shop down the street?"