I See The Way You Look At Me, Don't You See The Way I Look At You?

Merlin's ears were ringing as he exited the council hall, Arthur's condition in front of him not seeming any better.

His red cloak fluttered as he walked down the corridor just outside the hall, stopping just short of Merlin's shins as he followed him. The late afternoon sun was glinting off his armour that Merlin had painstakingly polished the day before, and would undoubtedly be forced to do again. Arthur always told him to do that whenever he was annoyed, or angry, both of which were applicable in this case.

"I can't believe it!" The blond king yelled just as the duo entered his chambers, the door shutting behind them. He ripped off his cloak and threw it in the direction of a chair, which it missed and instead landed on the floor. Merlin cringed as he saw that, mentally adding another chore to his ever growing list. Get it to the laundresses, but after checking if it needed to be mended.

"Are you honestly surprised?" Merlin muttered as he moved to pick the cloak up and inspect it for any rips in the fabric. "The council has been doing nothing but provoking you since your coronation. Especially because they didn't like that you lifted the magic ban." The words weren't meant to be heard, so of course Arthur heard it. Merlin braced himself for the reprimand that was surely coming, but no harsh words came. He turned around, only to be greeted with the frankly odd and disturbing scene of Arthur looking forlornly out of the window, which was cracked open to a view of the courtyard.

"Arthur," Merlin asked tentatively, placing the cloak down on the chair and moving towards him, unsure if it would be welcome. Arthur had been dreadfully moody and easy to anger for the past few months, since the mantle of King was placed on his shoulders that made Merlin tend to avoid him. "Are you okay?" It was a stupid question, but Merlin didn't what else to say.

Arthur laughed, but it was dark, humourless. "The Council is asking me to marry." He turned around and fixed Merlin with his blue eyes, sadness swirling in them. Merlin's heart ached to see him like that. "How can I be okay?" Arthur's eyes bored into his own, and Merlin thought it was another one of their moments, where something in Arthur's eyes made him think if the King reciprocated the feelings that Merlin felt coursing through him every moment of the day, synonymous with his magic, but not quite so. But then, like all other times, Arthur looked away, leaving the sorcerer bereft and wondering if whatever happened really did or not.

"I'm sure Gwen will understand," Merlin said softly, for the lack of anything better to say. Arthur fixed him with an indecipherable look, before turning away and picking up a pear from the basket on the table and biting into it, giving only a noncommittal hum as an answer.

"Think of the bright side," Merlin said cheerfully even though he felt anything but. He picked up the cloak and started to fold it. "It's going to be the first Royal Ball Camelot's seen in ages."

Arthur frowned at him. "How am I going to enjoy it if I would be on the lookout for a potential bride?"

"Or groom," Merlin muttered, this time low enough so Arthur didn't hear. He kept the folded cloak back on the seat of the chair, and moved to help him out of his armour. "Don't be so negative. Maybe you'll enjoy it."

Arthur fixed him with what was supposed to be his 'are you serious' look, but over his shoulder, the effect was a little marred. Merlin deftly undid the straps, his fingers automatically doing the actions he had done so many times before. "Yeah, right. I'll enjoy it when the women kill me." Arthur muttered, his lips quirking up in a small smile. Merlin let out a huff of breath, somewhere between a scoff and a genuine laugh, and dropped the breastplate on the bed, where it joined his vambrace and couter. With the last of the armour now safely off Arthur's body, he stepped back. The blond rolled his shoulders, and sunk down on the mattress, making sure to avoid the armor that was strewn all around.