I Can See The Stars In The Freckles On His Face

Merlin was late.

This was not surprising, or even unexpected in itself, but damn Arthur was hungry and the smell of pancakes and waffles wafting out of the diner was making his mouth water.

He couldn't take it anymore. It was seven-thirty on a Saturday morning, and Arthur had one rare break from office. His father had even refrained from calling to see where the hell he was.

Arthur had the whole day planned out. Breakfast with his boyfriend, then a walk near the pond in the park, followed by a drive out to the country. It had been a while since he had a sip of fine country beer. But of course, Merlin had decided not to show up.

Whipping out his phone, he dialed Merlin's number, and hoped that he wouldn't be in the bathroom. The phone rang six times before it was picked up.

"Arthur?" A bleary voice crackled out of the speaker. Arthur's heart dropped. "What happened? It's—" A pause, as Merlin moved away to check the time. "Seven thirty in the morning."

Arthur took in a deep breath. "Merlin," he said. "Are you still in bed?"

"Yes, Arthur," some of Merlin's characteristic exasperation filtered through the connection. "That's what working people do, have a lie in during the weekends when they don't have to go to work."

Arthur took in a deep breath, and tried not to sound petulant when he said his next words. He got a feeling that he failed miserably. "What about people who promised their boyfriends to have breakfast with them?"

A sharp intake of breath came from the other end of the line, followed by the distinct voice of scrambling and the unmistakable thump of a body falling to the ground. Arthur rolled his eyes.

"Oh God," Merlin all but screamed in his ear, sounding much more awake now, forcing Arthur to pull away his phone and frown at it, even though Merlin won't be able to see him. "I am so sorry—" The voice faded away again, to indistinct mumbles as Merlin probably searched for his pants. Arthur sighed.

"Wait!" The voice suddenly became clear again, carrying the undeniable tone of a badly thought-out idea. Arthur's heart sank again. "Why do we need to go outside for breakfast?"

Arthur sighed. "Because this the first free weekend I've had in months and I want to eat something that isn't toast or cereal for breakfast for once?"

"Well, that's true, but don't you think that cuddling in your bed with your boyfriend also sounds quite tempting. If I remember correctly, you haven't had a chance to do that in a long time either."

Arthur stayed silent, contemplating the offer.

"What if I throw in my blackberry-jam filled powdered doughnuts for breakfast?" Merlin continued, hope and triumph in his voice.

Well, now what could Arthur say to that? He sighed, feeling his resolve crumble.

"I'll be there in ten."