Chain Me To Your Heart's Desire (Part 3)

Merlin was having a better day than he had in ages. It was a Friday, his shift had ended at a reasonable time (Nine o'clock), and he had managed to grab a seat on the subway ride home. The only thing lacking was that he didn't have anyone to spend the weekend with.

How are you? He scrawled on his arm, the notes of music he had put on his phone swirling in his head. His earphones were quite old, and the wire was stripped in a few places, but they still worked perfectly.

It was a few minutes before he received a reply. You seem happy today. What's the occasion?

Merlin grinned. One person he could always depend on to reply was his soulmate, and he had never been disappointed. I got off my shift early today!! No shifts on the weekend either! I am going to sleep the whole time.

Lucky you. And while we are at it, lucky me too! A three-hour meeting that I was supposed to attend got cancelled. Early night for me too! It was followed by a smiley face.

Are you fine? You don't seem yourself today. Merlin frowned. His soulmate was uncharacteristically happy today.

*Growls* Fuck you. Is this better?

Merlin chuckled. Yes.

The song ended, and a new one started. He was aware that he was receiving a few odd looks, with the way he was writing on his hand and giggling. The looks had lessened as he sat there, but he still got one or two, mostly by the people who had just entered the train.

He sat chatting with his soulmate for a few more minutes, during which he got to know that he (yes, his soulmate was a he, it was one of the first facts he had got to know) was currently walking to the tube station and was going to catch it home. He went off soon after that, saying that he was at the station now and would talk to him later. Merlin wondered briefly if he would board the same train he was on, but discarded the idea quickly. There were dozens of trains in London, and his soulmate hadn't told him where he would be getting on.

Honestly, the only concrete thing he knew about his soulmate's appearance was that he was blond, and had blue eyes. All other times he had tried to elaborate happened in a vague language that didn't leave Merlin any more informed than he was before.

The song began to slow down, as did the train. It ended just as the train stopped, and the doors opened just as another one started. It was a rock number by a band he had never heard before, and he felt his adrenaline spike as he watched half a dozen people walk in. Three men, a couple, and another woman. None were pretty memorable or good looking, so Merlin went back on his phone to read the study on genetics he had started in the afternoon that day.

He fully expected the train to start moving again, but then half a minute passed and it didn't. Brow furrowed, he looked up, just to see someone that hadn't entered before when he had looked up unravel a purple knitted scarf from his neck. It was definitely a man, Merlin deduced from the figure, broad shouldered and strong. He had a beanie over his head that obscured his hair (except for a few wisps of blond hair), but the thick black overcoat was opened at the front to reveal a business suit underneath. It was all in all a very odd outfit, but understandable. It had been a particularly cloudy and cold day today, even by London's standards.

The man was facing away from him, so Merlin could not see much, but what he could see painted a picture that was something from his wet fantasies from college. Granite-hewn jaw, roman nose; all in all a very fantastic picture. He could have stared at him all day (or until one of them got off the train), and was fully prepared to do so. Unfortunately for him, the seat beside him on the right was emptied just as the train began to slow, and somehow the blond managed to take it. How he managed to get here from the opposite side of the train in such a short time, Merlin did not know, but was incredibly disheartened by the fact he would not be able to ogle him.