Chapter 10

I have seen many zombie movies in my time, but not even in them did people do such stupid things as what I've convinced Nathan to do for me.

I mean, we should focus on our survival, and here I am putting his life and that of his father in danger. What kind of person does that?

Yet, I can't find it in me to tell them to stop, to just shoot Jessica and move on. I just can't. There is a feeling deep in my gut that tells me that no matter how ridiculous the idea might be, it's the right thing to do. I have no idea how or why, yet I know that this is what should be done.

There are so many conflicting emotions fighting against each other in my heart, making it impossible to know what I think about anything.

What's even more confusing is that Nathan, the most rational guy I've ever met, has agreed to do such a crazy thing. For me.

It makes me wonder what he saw when he looked into my eyes. Was it desperation or pain?

Maybe he saw that I would break into million pieces if I had to see Jessica's body falling lifeless before my feet. But why would he even care? No one else did.

"They'll be fine, don't worry. They've dealt with risky situations before," Marge says, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I-I'm so...sorry," I stutter.

"For what?" She asks.

She sounds genuinely surprised by my apology.

"For making your son and husband risk their lives because I am too weak to see my friend shot," I say, although I know it's so much more than that.

"Oh, don't you worry about that. You didn't make Eric and Nathan do anything. They are adults who can make their own decisions, and in this case, they wanted to try your way," Marge says.

"But why? My way sounds ridiculous and more dangerous than it has to be," I say.

"Because it's not an easy thing to go around killing humans, whether they are zombies or not. If there is another way, Nathan and Eric would love to find it since they are both tired of all the killing," Marge says.

We fall into silence while I mull over her words.

I might have suggested this crazy notion, but Nathan and Eric wouldn't have agreed to do it if they weren't confident that they could do it. They wouldn't do that to Marge.

It's clear that they are a tight-knit family and that they mean the world to each other.

As I contemplate my role in this insanity, Nathan and Eric slowly approach Jessica.

She seems too involved in her meal to notice their approach, at first. However, after a few more steps on their part, her head snaps back towards them.

Even from the great distance between Jessica and myself, I can see that her face is smeared with red. I wish I could pretend I don't know what it is, but my brain doesn't allow me the luxury of doing that.

She is covered in blood, and I can't help but wonder whose body she is feasting on.

For a horrible moment, I contemplate the possibility of it being Jason. I shiver at the mixture of fear and disgust that floods my body at the thought.

"Shh, don't overthink things and assume the worst before we have all the facts. It won't do you or anyone else any good," Marge says as she wraps a hand around my shoulders and squeezes comfortingly.

I am surprised to hear her say that since she seemed angry with my crazy idea mere moments ago. Now, she is doing her best to offer me comfort.

"Right, right," I say, trying to keep it together.

As Nathan and Eric continue their approach, they gain Jessica's full attention. She starts slowly shuffling towards them, saliva flowing down her mouth while her dead eyes fixate on them.

"Are you ready?" Nathan asks his dad.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Eric responds.

Nathan stops walking and stands still, raising his gun. He takes some time to line up his shot, and then a loud shot rings through the clearing.

Seconds later, both Nathan and Eric are next to Jessica who's now lying on the ground with a bullet through her left leg.

Eric pulls the backpack over her head as Nathan does his best to tie up her arms and immobilize her head.

What's clear to me is that my observation skills are horrible since I didn't even notice when Eric emptied his backpack. Neither did I realize that he decided to use it to disorient the zombie.

"Many animals feel confused when they can't see. I guess it might be even worse for humans because we are born with an innate fear of darkness," Marge explains as the guys expertly tie up my friend.

They proceed to carry her still writhing body towards the nearby tree, and they proceed to secure her to the tree with expert moves of someone who knows what they are doing.

"All done," Eric says, coming back to where we stand and giving his wife a kiss.

"That looked easier to do than I thought it would be," I say.

"It wasn't easy. We just have a lot of experience. We used to tie up the deer we hunted when this whole apocalypse thing started the same way," Eric says.

I swallow a lump in my throat as I feel tears gathering in my eyes.

I like Eric. However, he just compared what they did to my friend to hunting an animal. It hurts. It was probably more painful because it came with the realization that it wasn't far from the truth.

"Dad, watch what you're saying, don't be so insensitive. That's her friend over there," Nathan says, joining us.

Eric looks up at my crushed expression, and embarrassment takes over his features.

"I am sorry. I just wasn't thinking," Eric says.

"He rarely does," Marge says reproachfully.

"But he never means anything bad by it, my dear," Marge adds.

"It's just..." I start to say and then lose my voice to tears.

Nathan comes towards me and hugs me tightly. He seems to be trying to hug away all my sorrows, but it's not such an easy thing to do.

After a few moments of comfort, I break the hug knowing that we don't have time for this. I have already wasted enough of our precious time with my weird request.

I need to find the strength not to fall apart, not now at least.

"It made me realize that she is like an animal now," I finally manage to say.

My statement is followed by Jessica's loud growl, which only serves to reinforce my words.

"I'm sorry," Nathan says, and I can see that he isn't just saying it to calm me down.

He means it.

"I'll deal with it somehow. But we need to leave before more zombies come looking for us," I say.

"Yes, let's go," Nathan says as his father picks up the few supplies in a bundle made of his jacket since he discarded the backpack. Considering it was on Jessica's head, getting rid of it sounds like a good idea.

As we move forward, I remember the dead body Jessica was feeding on, and I try to see who it is.

"Don't," Nathan says, pulling me away from it.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"It's better if you don't know," he says.

"Is it Jason?" I ask in panic.

"No, it's not Jason. That's all you need to know right now," he says.

Having in mind how my body reacts to shock, I conclude that he is right, so we just move through the clearing, away from what was once a human being.