• 𝙨𝙞𝙭 •

It's the next day since the ball. My father seemed more stressed than usual. I was a bit concerned but I tried to keep away to let him sort out his thoughts. So many questions have been flooding in my head that night and still continue this morning. I walked down stairs to see no one present. Not even the servants. It was a strange feeling.

I looked out the window to find my brother playing golf. I walk out to approach him, wanting to question him about last night but not really sure if it's the right time.

I just stand by him waiting for him to start a conversation.

"Your spectacle about last night, am I correct?" He says in a monotone voice. Not taking his eyes off the ball.

I nod. "What did father agree to that night?"

"I don't really it's my place to tell you but, we are going to have a dinner with them. They didn't really give us options so we had to agree."

He hit the ball and it flew across the field.

"You should talk to father, he said he needed you."

I nod and start walking off until he grabs my shoulder gently.

"But please be patient with him. He's had a rough night and, knowing you, I don't think he needs and argument this early in the morning."

"Don't worry I will." I slightly chuckled.

I walk inside and walk down the hallway to my fathers office. My feet slide on the velvet carpet while I admire the long paintings on the wall. I walk up to my fathers office door and give a slight knock.

"Come in." I here my fathers low raspy voice as I proceed to enter turning the gold knob.

I open the door slowly, trying not to disturb him as much. Our Manor was very old so in result of this the door squeaked loudly.

"I'm guessing Lorenzo sent you."

"Mhm."

I sit down in one of the chairs.

"I have a very important favor to ask you my dear. As you know the Riddles are coming over for lunch tomorrow. So I give you this task..."

He grabs both my hands on the table.

"You must kill the next heir of the Riddles."

I never thought I would have to accomplish a task like this nevertheless given by my father. I was a bit in shock but I must not jump to conclusions or be dramatic before knowing the real reason.

"I know you have a lot of questions but this must be done. There is no other way we can keep our kingdom safe. You must find a way to kill the heir."

"Father, before I kill anyone, I have to know who the heir is.."

"Of course! How could I let such an import detail out." He says slapping his hand on his forehead.

"His name is Mattheo Riddle. He is the next heir after his father just like you are."

I grind my teeth predicting it was the same boy I was drawn to at the ball.

"How will I know who he is?"

"You will know when you see him. I promise. But you must not tell anyone about this outside of theses walls! Understood?"

I nod and exit his office. I sigh heavily as this task is laid on my shoulders now. I walk out seeking some fresh air and see Cedric. Holding his hand out with a single rose. Just what I needed.

"Care to join me on a walk?" He says with the biggest smile.

"How could I say no."

We walked around the royal garden for a couple of minutes as we admire the roses and beautiful grass. We approach a bench and sit down.

"Something has been bothering you." He questions.

I would speak out about my situation but I remember what my father said. I cannot tell anyone about the matter at hand.

"I'm great Cedric, really."

"Well if you want to sharing anything, I'm always here." He commented with a warm smile.

He walks me back to the manor and we say our good byes.  I enter our library desperate to find some information about the Riddles. I scan across the shelves as I blow the dust away swiping my hand in the air to try and find some sort of book.

Finally, I see a book with an emerald green spine and gold accents around it. I grab it and set it down on one of the tables beside me. Opening the book, the spine cracks and cripples. I blow the dust in between the pages to read better. The first page is a family portrait of what I assume is the Riddles. Everyone with the same black suits and dresses. I search for answers but as I turn to the next page..

Nothing.

I try to scan quickly through the book to find any messages but I find none. The only thing in the book was the portrait. I tried wiping an dust to try and see even the faintest font but nothing.

I exit the library and head to my room. I set the book on my nightstand for safe keeping. I prepare for bed as the next day comes the dinner with the Riddles..

___________________________________