8| genetics

MADDIE

SAM'S FACE MORPHS from concern to confusion. "That doesn't make sense."

Sighing, I hold his hand to my face, hating how horrible I feel. My head aches, my stomach is tied up in knots, I feel perpetually lightheaded, I need to sleep.

Not to mention how sick hearing the doctor tell me I lost a pregnancy, one I didn't even know I had, is making me feel.

At least my mind feels less foggy, like things are a little clearer.

"The bleeding, the cramps, the dizziness, it wasn't because I started my period." I say quietly, tears building up in my eyes before I can help it.

I blink quickly, the tears coming faster when I see him let out a breath, realization setting on his face.

"Oh." Is all he murmurs, before swallowing hard.

"I'm sorry." I say, my voice thick, swatting away a tear that treks my cheek.

His eyes quickly snap up from the bed sheets to my face, "No, bubba, no, don't be sorry."

In an instant his arms are around my waist, pulling me into a hug so tight I can barely breathe. "None of this is your fault, okay? This is nobody's fault."

"I didn't even want a baby, why does it hurt?" I whimper, my head hidden in his shoulder, my eyes making his shirt wet.

He doesn't reply, just moves us so he's sitting on the bed, me still sat in his lap, my legs around his waist.

We don't talk for a long while after that. His hands run up and down my back, occasionally pressing kisses to my cheeks, but neither of us say a word.

A knock comes from the door after what feels like hours.

Quickly sitting back and sniffling, I wipe my face. "I think that's the doctor."

He nods, carefully moving me so I'm on the bed again.

When he wipes my cheeks with his thumbs, I instantly notice his are a little red as well.

"Am I alright to come in?" An unfamiliar voice asks, and when Sam looks at me in question, I nod.

"Yes," he replies, giving up on the chair where he was before, instead sitting on the bed with me.

A short brunette woman steps into the room, her dark almond eyes crinkling when she gives us a smile.

"Hi, I'm Catherine." She says, her voice soft, and I nod.

Shutting the door behind her, she sits down on the little stool where Miller was earlier, and lets out a small breath.

"I am so sorry. This is something nobody, and especially not at so young, should have to go through." She tells us, going between Sam and I, and I shift uncomfortably.

"I appreciate that."

"I have to ask a few questions, is that alright?" She grabs a pen from the little desk and I nod, watching her smile again and write something on her clipboard.

"Were you aware of the pregnancy?" She asks. I shake my head, and she just hums.

"Are you two trying?" She asks, and I shake my head again, busying myself with tracing the lines inside Sam's palm.

"Are you taking any contraceptives?"

I nod, not needing to look up to know she's writing on her board again, the sound of her pen scratching against the paper.