Five

Sam and Natasha took the pilot and copilot seats, falling into their roles as they had done for the past two years. Bruce and Rhodey sat together behind them and Wanda and Vision a few seats from them. Steve made a quick call and then directed them where to go.

We got into the air quickly and he finally came and sat in the seat next to mine. He rested his elbows on his knees and leaned closer to me to keep our conversation low on the near silent jet.

"You know, I had no idea if you were okay, you just disappeared," he murmured, a grim expression slowly forming, "I don't even know happened to you before I got that voicemail or who that guy was."

My gaze shifted away as I tried to find the words to try and explain. I had barely mentioned that night since then and barely thought about it if I could help it. He grasped my hand, his thumb tracing soothing circles against my skin.

"It's okay if you don't want to talk about it yet."

I inhaled deeply before I spoke, "I honestly don't know what to say. He was someone I believed to be a friend. Then it turned out he hunted people like me and Wanda, stealing their powers for himself. He thought I'd lead him to Wanda at some point, but he got tired of waiting. He tricked me; it turned ugly. It was like- like my power had been burned out of my body cell by cell- like I had been stripped of my essence. I couldn't even function right away, but I called you as soon as I could."

"You got them back when he died?"

"Yes," I affirmed, closing my eyes as bloody images resurfaced in my mind.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Of course. I'm here, aren't I?" I quipped, meeting his gaze again. He gave an exasperated sigh, apparently still not fond of the blow off coping.

"I mean because you killed him," he elaborated, trying to understand.

"It's not the first time I've done it."

"I know, but this- this was different."

"He got what he deserved," I whispered coldly, my mouth turning into a deep scowl. And I believed that whole-heartedly. He would have continued to kill in cold blood; the world was better off with him gone. Steve's brows furrowed at my tone, and he seemed to choose his next words carefully.

"I'm not condemning you for it. I'm just worried about how it affected you. What happened was traumatic I'm sure, and then you had to deal with the aftermath alone... Were- Were you two...?"

"No. No, it wasn't like that," I shook my head in wry amusement, "There was never anyone else, but I'm fine, really. Stephen helped me, I healed fine, and my powers came back; I was lucky. Even more lucky that you came. I'd be dead if you hadn't." I knew I should mention the nightmares and the other issues, but I didn't want anyone doubting my abilities or thinking I'd suddenly snap. Especially Steve.

"I told you if you needed me that I'd be there," he murmured, "I meant it."

"Part of me was terrified that you would have moved on. You deserved to, and I wouldn't have blamed you- but I thought maybe you'd have changed your mind," I admitted. He gave a small shake of his head as if that was unfathomable. I leaned closer into his side, and he adjusted himself, moving his arm around me.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, the emotion behind the words making them barely audible, "I should have never left. Even after I was done being angry, I could have come back, but I was too stubborn. Then when I was ready, I let him manipulate me into staying away. You risked your own life to help me- not that I deserved it- and I didn't wait. I left, again. I feel so guilty, and I just wish I could change it. I'm sorry-"

He spun my body to face him, interrupting my guilt fueled rant. His lips brushed against mine softly, which comforted me and made me feel worse at the same time. He gently wiped away the single tear that had escaped my pooling eyes and ran down my cheek.

"You have nothing to apologize for. You took the time you needed, and I don't fault you for that, not one bit. Sure, I wish you would have stayed with us, then you probably would have stayed out of trouble, because I know that is so difficult for a Stark," I choked on a laugh at that, "My love for you isn't some delicate thing that just fades at the first sign of difficulty. It never has been."

My expression lifted as his words put me at ease, chipping away at the built-up anxiety and doubts from our time apart. Now probably wasn't the right time for this conversation, considering our likely upcoming conflict, but I was glad everything was aired out. I didn't want to think that we wouldn't have another chance or that we might not get any more time. I knew there was a slim chance that we all walked away from this unscathed.

I pulled myself out of the spiraling train of thoughts and focused back on his face, saying, "Promise me we'll get more time. That's all I want. A long life with you, whatever that entails. I don't need you to promise the sun or the stars, just promise to stand beneath them with me for the rest of our lives."

"Neither of us are going anywhere. I promise." He paused a moment before his face spread into a mischievous smile as he dug into one of his pockets, pulling out a small trinket. "I have something that belongs to you."

Between his fingers dangled a familiar silver chain, my ring glittering at the end of it. I had figured it had disappeared in all of the wreckage and debris on the bridge that night, yet somehow, he had managed to find it.

I reached out and took it from him delicately, my eyes darting to his. "You're giving it back?"

"Of course. It's yours," he smiled, his voice turning warm and husky, "When the time is right, I still want to make you my wife."

My heart stuttered at his words, and I was unable to contain the wide grin that quickly spread across my own face. I laid my head on his shoulder, getting as close as I could to him.

"I'd love that, Captain."