Twenty-One

Steve had healed beautifully and had no scars other than the emotional ones. Tony had called every day, making sure we were okay, and no one from Hydra had tried to hunt us down. S.H.I.E.L.D had crumbled and most everyone had scattered. Our presence had been requested by government officials in D.C., but only Natasha had gone.

Fury approached us as we stood in front of his fake grave. He was wearing dark sunglasses and a hoodie to obscure his face. He really wanted to stay dead to the world.

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before?" Nick asked as he approached our small group. He glanced at his tombstone which read: "The path of the righteous man. Ezekiel 25:17."

"You get used to it," Steve chuckled.

"We've been data-mining Hydra's files. Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight, wanted to ask if you'd come," he informed us, looking around almost hopeful.

"There's something I gotta do first," Steve declined vaguely. Bucky was still forefront in his mind, which I had expected.

"Stark?" Nick turned to me. I shook my head ruefully.

"Oh no. I'm staying right here. I promised my help to someone else. Thank you though," I held my hands up apologetically. He nodded with a small smirk and turned to Sam.

"How about you, Wilson? Could use a man with your abilities."

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy."

"Alright then," he shrugged, shaking each of our hands in turn, "Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here." He glanced at his tombstone one last time and silently walking away.

"You should be honored, that's about as close as he gets to saying thank you," Natasha joked, approaching us from behind.

"Not going with him?" I asked in surprise.

"No," she replied, her lips curling in amusement.

"Not staying here?" Steve clarified.

"I blew all my covers, I gotta go figure out a new one," Nat said as we got closer. Sam had stayed back a few feet out of politeness.

"That might take a while," Steve smiled.

"I'm counting on it. That thing you asked for, I called in a few favors from Kiev," she handed Steve the file in her hand. She kissed Steve on the cheek and turned to me. We hugged briefly, and she tossed us all a sly smile before sauntering away.

Steve opened the file, and I looked over his shoulder to see a picture of Bucky and the information regarding his Winter Soldier transformation.

"You're going after him?" Sam inquired.

"You don't have to come with us," Steve assured him. We had already had this discussion. He had tried to argue with me, but I had ultimately won. There was no way I'd sit back and not try to help him. We were in it together.

"I know. When do we start?" Sam asked, staring at Steve with calm confidence. I grinned, glad Sam would be part of our small investigation team. Maybe some normalcy would remain in our lives. Maybe.