After the Rain

"This is ridiculous, Natasha!" I hissed from the back of the jet. I was struggling to stand in the tall heels she had forced me to adorn. Apparently, it completed the look, which I thought was overkill for a mission. But Nat insisted that I had to be believable and play the part or our target would figure me out quickly.

Wanda fixed my strap again, and I swatted her hand away, huffing loudly. The dress was made of a tulle like fabric and the spaghetti straps went around my neck like a halter top and it showed too much cleavage for a man I'd never met. It was a subtle ombré, the top a blue grey color and the soft pink bottom billowing out elegantly.

"What's this guy's name again?" I called to Natasha as she continued to fly the jet while ignoring my whining. Wanda tucked a loose curl back into place and I slowly turned my head to look at her incredulously. "Wanda- I love you, but you have to chill."

"Nathaniel Zukos."

Natasha had been personally given this mission from some government official and I was bait. This Zukos man was suspected of selling confidential information to our enemies overseas. He was a powerful man and they wanted to catch him in the act instead going after him empty handed. I would pretend to be one of those buyers and get the proof without alerting him or his men of the ruse.

"Don't you have more experience with this, Natasha?" I asked as a last-ditch attempt to get out of it. "I also don't understand why we have to do this over dinner."

"I've done my fair share, and that's how he does business," she chuckled glancing back at me. I side eyed Wanda.

"Don't look at me," she laughed, walking towards the ramp. Nat slowed and started the descent to the ground. We couldn't arrive to the meeting in the jet, so I had to go on foot a little ways out from the castle. He wanted to have the dinner at some renovated castle in Ireland. And I thought I was spoiled.

Wanda tried to hand me a black cloak as she lowered the ramp, but I waved it off with a smirk. "You know I don't need that right?"

"Oh. Right," she snorted and tossed it back aside. They both just stared at me smiling. Creeps. I double checked that I had my thigh holster situated correctly and inched toward the door.

"Uh- yeah. I'm gonna go... I'll be in touch through comms. Be sure to mention how you tried to entice this guy with this," I gestured wildly to my clothing, "to Steve when he checks in." It was weird for him to be absent from a mission, but something had come up and he had to bail last minute.

"We'll be sure to do that," Natasha smirked, waving me on. I shrugged and sighed dramatically, sulking off through the light covering of snow. The castle came into view, and I was stunned. It was beautiful, especially with the pristine white covering that blanketed the entire grounds.

The lights of the building helped illuminate the pathway and my heels clicked on the sidewalk that had been kept cleared. The snow was still falling lightly, which was to be expected in January. I could see my breath in the cold air as a result, but it didn't bother me at all. The fountain I passed by had been turned off for the winter, but I could imagine how gorgeous it would be in warmer weather.

In the small distance between me and the front doors, I could make out elaborate string lights around all the bushes along the dark castle walls. There was a figure standing off to the side on the walkway, just waiting. I tensed, but as I got closer, I could make out who it was.

I skidded to a halt and my breath caught in my throat. There was only fifteen feet between us now, and he smiled broadly, motioning for me to come closer. It was Steve, as handsome as ever, dressed in a suit with dozens of candles surrounding him on the ground. There were two other men there to the side, one holding a saxophone and another sitting at a keyboard. They began playing sweetly as I approached. Oh my god.

As I got closer, he soaked in every inch of me, the smile never leaving his face. I tenderly stepped through the candles, not wanting to catch the hem of the dress on the flames. Now I was directly in front of him, and I was utterly speechless. He did all this for me? It was beautiful.

"You look breathtaking, Melanie," he gushed, gently caressing the side of my face. I blushed and smiled back at him, not able to wrap my brain around what was happening.

"This is amazing, Steve."

He leaned down and kissed me softly on the lips, taking my hand in his and dropping to one knee in front of me. He pulled out a small black box from the inside of his jacket and opened it while resting it in the palm of his hand. My breath hitched and butterflies erupted in my stomach, almost like I was a young girl again.

"I came out of the ice with a bleak acceptance of what had become of my life. I didn't see how it could get better; all I could see was what I had lost. Then you walked onto that jet, and you turned me on my heel. You're beautiful inside and out, smart, compassionate, stubborn, and you bring joy to my life that I'd never thought I'd have again. You're the person I wouldn't hesitate to lay my life down for. I love you more than I can even begin to express, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Melanie Katherine Stark, will you marry me?"

"Oh my god, yes! Yes!" I cried without hesitation, throwing my arms around his neck. Laughing joyfully, he picked me up and swung me around in the air before placing me lightly back on my feet. He embraced me, and we shared a passionate, giddy kiss. My heart was soaring, and I couldn't stop smiling.

He took the ring from the box and gently took my left hand, sliding it onto my finger with ease. As I glanced down to admire it, I about choked. It was stunning. It was oval cut with a large halo diamond surrounded by mini diamonds that stretched into the silver band. I opened my mouth to protest the extravagance, but he predicted this and held up his hand.

"Nope, I don't wanna hear it."

"Yes, Captain," I teased, hooking my arm in his and kissing him on the cheek happily. I wouldn't ruin this with our normal banter. He led me to the doors, and we were greeted warmly at the door before being led to where I figured their restaurant was. It definitely was not.

The doors were opened, and we stepped inside to the sound of hollering and clapping. I was taken aback as I took in the room of our closest friends and loved ones. He knew how much I'd want them to be a part of this.

"You're amazing," I whispered to him as we started being approached. He pecked the top of my head in response.

Tony, Pepper, and Happy were the first we talked to. And we were soon joined by Wanda, Natasha, and Rhodey. I eyed the two women and cocked my brow. They were such liars.

"I can't believe I didn't figure it out with the way you two were acting," I sighed, elbowing Nat playfully.

"Hey, our job was to make you presentable, and it was the best thing we could come up with," she laughed.

"You should have heard some of her other ideas," Wanda told me, wide-eyed in horror. I laughed at that, not surprised.

"I suppose you helped with the planning?" I inquired to Pepper. She shook her head in amusement.

"Actually, that would be me," Tony admitted, raising his hand smugly. I glanced between him and Steve and just shook my head. I wasn't sure if I liked them conspiring together.

"Well, he's the only one I told up until a week ago. I had to ask for Tony's blessing," Steve said simply. My heart melted a little at that and I then realized that was what they had been hugging about when Thor left. Steve had been planning this for months.

Tony shook Steve's hand proudly and then crushed me into a hug and kissed my cheek before going to mingle with the other guests. "I'm happy for you, Lanie."

I scanned the many faces present. Sam, Vision, and even Clint and his family had flown out. We were congratulated by everyone and only a few faces were missing that I would have loved to see.

My hand wound its way into Steve's, and I grinned up at him, enjoying the cheerful atmosphere. He pulled my hand up to his lips and placed a small kiss there, his eyes locking with mine. I could spend forever gazing into his blue eyes, which I could read so easily. I'd never have to question how much he loved me.