Chapter 5: The Trail

The two groups finished eating. While waiting for their checks, they discussed where to go next. They ended up picking the park that was around the corner. 

Matty's POV

I heard the adults say something about going to the park. I whispered it to Bella, and she passed on the rumor. We were all gossiping about going to the park. "Here you go. Have a great day." The waiter said blankly. He seemed tired and annoyed. I noticed he was glaring at daddy. I didn't like it. I glared back at him. Ba noticed and broke it by saying, "Thanks." The waiter walked away. Daddy looked ashamed of himself. "You can't control it, it's okay. He's probably just having a bad day." Ba said smiling at daddy. "Ok.." Daddy replied, forcing a smile. I feel bad for him.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

They all grabbed their belongings and left for the park. The children all brought their plastic cups because there was still some drink left in them.

Bella's POV

I was chewing on my plastic straw from the cup that I had from the restaurant. "Psst. I don't think dada would like it if he saw you chewin' on that." Daddy whispered to me slightly laughing. "Oh, I didn't know I was even chewing on it!" I said whispering. He nodded, smiling, and got back with dada. Me and the other children were in front. There were trees that lined the trail we walked to get to the playground part of the park. Once we arrived, I noticed the air felt.. off. I think everybody else but dada and me didn't feel it. "Do you feel that, dada?" I asked looking at him. "Yes, I do, let me go tell daddy about it. Just go play with the others." He replied looking slightly worried under all of his chill self. I obeyed and went to find the others.

Ben POV

I hope he isn't back. "Yes, I do, let me go tell daddy about it. Just go play with the others." I replied trying not to sound worried, I didn't want her to be worried. I walked over to Jeff, who was sitting on the bench and sat down next to him. There were no other people here but our two groups. "Bella and I have been feeling something off about the surroundings." I told him while looking at my feet. "What do you mean?" He asked. "I mean, it's the same feeling I got when.." I trailed off. "You mean.. when he.." He said worried. "Yes." I replied blankly. "We should go then, right?" He asked. "I would feel more comfortable if we-" I stopped, my heart started pounding, my ears were twitching, I was focused on the silence of my daughter. "Ben? Are you okay?" Jeff held my hand. I didn't say anything back. I got up and walked over to where Bella used to be. "He took her." I said tearing up, while Jeff was yelling for her. All of this happened so fast, it was a blur.

{524 words}